Post your favorite horizontal orientation portraits

wow some GREAT photos here!!! I found some more to share :)

IMG_5138.jpg

IMG_0361.jpg

It is interesting to see how different most of these "Horizontal Portraits" are from the NORM of Horizontal Portraits that we see! Many of these are nicely lit, have great subjects with good attire, makeup, expressions... and obviously have a lot of thought put into them. Whereas the "Average" Horizontal portrait lacks all or most of these things. Most are more along the lines of snapshots... usually from the MWAC crowd (no insult intended).

Does anyone else see the difference I am referring to? Most of these are FAR from typical...

It is interesting to see how different most of these "Horizontal Portraits" are from the NORM of Horizontal Portraits that we see! Many of these are nicely lit, have great subjects with good attire, makeup, expressions... and obviously have a lot of thought put into them. Whereas the "Average" Horizontal portrait lacks all or most of these things. Most are more along the lines of snapshots... usually from the MWAC crowd (no insult intended).

Does anyone else see the difference I am referring to? Most of these are FAR from typical...

Think I know what you mean!

But hey, the one I posted was definitely a snapshot with a self-timer ;)

Derrel... I know you want to contribute. Don't be shy!

cgipson1 said:

I see what you mean. These were shot horizontally for a reason - not just because it's easier to shoot in horizontal format. I think this is what people were arguing for/against. Nobody said you couldn't ever shoot horizontal portraits. There just has to be a purpose to it besides the fact that the photographer forgot to turn the camera! ;).

I do have to admit that in the beginning I shot a lot in horizontal format just because it was a huge PIA to shoot vertical. It was awkward feeling to shoot vertical! But hey I am a MWAC! ;)

cgipson1 said:

I see what you mean. These were shot horizontally for a reason - not just because it's easier to shoot in horizontal format. I think this is what people were arguing for/against. Nobody said you couldn't ever shoot horizontal portraits. There just has to be a purpose to it besides the fact that the photographer forgot to turn the camera! ;).

I do have to admit that in the beginning I shot a lot in horizontal format just because it was a huge PIA to shoot vertical. It was awkward feeling to shoot vertical! But hey I am a MWAC! ;)

EXACTLY! :)

cgipson1 said:

So you were looking for crappy horizontal portraits? Man, I have a ton of those as well as any other crappy genre you want.

Gary

He just meant non typical horizontal. If someone is laying down or if it is a group shot... it is kinda a no brainer it should be horizontal.

So you were looking for crappy horizontal portraits? Man, I have a ton of those as well as any other crappy genre you want.

Gary

hahaha... we all do, don't we? ;)

These aren't really portraits, anymore than most of the others posted, but they are primarily of a single person and the horizontal format fit the image (I think)

p468416889-5.jpg

p508727564-5.jpg

In my case, it was just a beginner's error. I have a couple from this "shoot" (OK - it's a class) that are in vertical orientation. As far as the others - yes, there is a valid reason for landscape: light elements or other things in the frame that add to the shot.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back