Pretentious Newb Photographers.

mysteryscribe said:
It's just a picture not the dead sea scrolls.
Ah! So you can tell the difference between some things, then. :mrgreen:

Because of the way we humans are, everything we do has a meaning, though most people are unaware of this.
Most things have a much deeper symbolic meaning that we read at a subliminal level but rarely at a conscious one.
This is how Advertising (and an awful lot else) works.
Frames around photos, signatures on prints, et al, all have deeper levels of meaning than the immediately obvious. Being aware of these deeper meanings and trying to understand them means that you can use them to advantage.
The alternative is to whistle in the dark, but some people are happier doing that.

Sorry I have facial thingie from brain surgery. I can't pucker up to whistle, but I try not to look too deep into people's minds. It just makes it much harder to hate them. And I try to hate everyone equally. It is the best way I know not to be called bigot.

Like I said, some people are happier being in the dark.
I prefer to look for the light switch - it's my way of helping others rather then being self-indulgent.

Against my better judgement, I will reply.

I think the original poster here is being the pretentious one actually. Assuming anyone with a border on their images, or a signature is a noob? This is the exact attitude most noobs have. :)

I'm a professional photographer. I put borders around my images, and usually put a copyright sig on my images. Why? Well, I don't put images on my wall without a frame...generally a frame enhances and compliments the picture. Sure frames are useful for keeping the image ON the wall, but it's also a part of the art itself. So why do it online? Because it enhances the images, makes them look more finished. Why do I put copyright sig on mine? I've found my images all over the net, and many peoples personal websites, and on many websites where I don't speak the language. For all I know, they could claim it's theirs. Why do I care? Why do copyright laws exhist...to protect MY artwork. :)

Dawn Roberts said:
I don't put images on my wall without a frame...generally a frame enhances and compliments the picture. Sure frames are useful for keeping the image ON the wall, but it's also a part of the art itself. So why do it online? Because it enhances the images, makes them look more finished.
Is the frame actually part of the 'art' or is it that we think it makes it 'art'?
On a computer the frame isn't real but an image. Perhaps putting a frame around images on a computer is more of a convention than a necessity?
If you printed the image out in order to frame it and hang it on the wall would you leave the computer-created frame on it or remove it first?
Just curious.

As for Copyright and signatures. The author of an image has Copyright protection whether they put a sig on or not. It's more probable that signing a print (on a computer at any rate) is more psychological than anything: it gives us a sense of protection because we have put our mark on it.
The truth is, if someone is going to steal your work then putting a sig on it isn't going to stop them. A few minutes with PS will remove it.
Digimarc is a far more secure solution.
http://www.digimarc.com/watermark/mypicturemarc/

As I have said before - what people do to and with their images is entirely up to them. I'm just curious as to the reasons why people do things.

On the wall, it certainly is part of the art. I tend to frame images with frames that are complimentary, that add to the dimension of the image, etc.

Of course I wouldn't print the border around the image. Well, actually, I take that back, I do for some of my client albums, a small border again to add dimension against black backgrounds. It's not a necessity by any means, but aesthetically more pleasing to the eye........obviously a matter of taste.

As for copyright...I'm certainly not naive to think that people will use my images anyway, or attempt at removal. In the end, I'm not all that worried about it, otherwise I wouldn't do online proofing with my clients, or even post images online period. However, if it means they have to put a bit of effort, or extra thought on copyright, then it's worth it. :)

The © phase is part of being an excited beginner. When I discovered photography couple of years ago, I heavily used '© my name and/or website', because the I've seen the pros doing that. So in effect, the '©' made me a 'pro'! ;)
But it never was to protect my image, since 'Print Screen' coupled with a some minor tweaks in PS could easily defeat the purpose.

As for the border on the computer, I tend to usually (99.9999%) stay away from using them, since I want the viewer's attention on the image, sans the frame. Certain frames adds to the image and it is great if that is what the intention is!
It all depnds upon the creator's intention.

Thanks Hertz. Digimarc is great info. :thumbup:

Dawn Roberts said:
On the wall, it certainly is part of the art. I tend to frame images with frames that are complimentary, that add to the dimension of the image, etc.
FONT]

Hertz said:
Is the frame actually part of the 'art' or is it that we think it makes it 'art'?

Some interesting points here. I can see where your coming from Dawn in that for clients it makes the work presentable. But i think what Hertz is saying here (my interpritation of anyway).... is that does a frame actually make the picture art.... i.e. if you have a blade of grass... it is just that.... but if you frame a blade of grass, what does that do to it?..... it changes it from being 'just' a blade of grass to being something of importance...... or something that could be questioned. Its what a frame actually 'does' rather than simply finishing off a piece work which is the question. Something to ponder...... :D

Hmmm, interesting. I don't think anything can make something a piece of art. As we all know, art is subjective, so I don't think just adding a frame makes it art. If you call it art...it's art. If you consider it art..it's art. That doesn't mean I need to like it, it just means that I can appreciate it, because you consider it art.

Ohhh I think I'm getting way off topic here.

Basically, in response to the OP....doing the things you mention, doesn't make an artist pretentious.

Dawn Roberts said:
Hmmm, interesting. I don't think anything can make something a piece of art. As we all know, art is subjective, so I don't think just adding a frame makes it art. If you call it art...it's art. If you consider it art..it's art. That doesn't mean I need to like it, it just means that I can appreciate it, because you consider it art.

:thumbup: so framing it does make it art then!

Dawn Roberts said:
Basically, in response to the OP....doing the things you mention, doesn't make an artist pretentious.

I agree :mrgreen:

Dawn Roberts said:
LOL am I totally talking in circles or what?

It happens to me all the time.... i'm one of those people that can 'say' what i mean quite easily....but often can't type what i mean.... all my friends know this...and especially ex girlfriends who have taken things that i type the wrong way.... why can't i just type whats in my mind!!!!... tonight i'm doing unusually well :lol:

Most reactions

Back