Price of Nikon D300 after D300s?

hoboahoy

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
When Nikon D300s comes out in a few months, do you think the price of D300 will go down significantly? If I want a D300, is it worth waiting till after D300s comes out? What kind of (how much) price reduction on D300 would you guess? Significant? or rather minor?

Very little if anything.

If you want a D300... buy it now. The reason I say that is becuase the time you waste waiting for something... you could have missed thousands of shots. This mentality was exactly what I went through before I bought the D700. In the end, I bit the bullet and could not be happier.

Another thing is... no one can tell the future, so that makes it impossible to know what will happen. If you want it, get it... if not... then do not. :D

I'm curious how you miss shots not having a D300?

I'd wait unless there's a definite need for having it right now.

Miss shots taken with a camera that you are waiting and waiting and waiting but never get.

In my case, it was a case of "D3 or D700... D3 or D700...". I wasted 2 months on that, when I could have been shooting with the D700 2 months earlier.

That doesn't mean that I did not have another camera, I did... a D200, but it was not even remotely close to being in the same ballpark.

I am a firm believer that people who cannot make a decision, should not make a purchase, nor should they wait for someone else to tell them what to do.

In this case, Nikon traditionally releases an "S" variant that typically gives some minor advantages:
- D1, D1x was higher shutter speeds.
- D2, D2x again, higher shutter speeds
- D3, D3x was higher resolution.

In all cases, prices of the non "X" bodies never dropped upon the release of the "X" models... simply becuase they were not in competition, they were for different markets! Anyone that waited for the release of the "X" mode to save a few bucks wasted their time. They could have been shooting with the camera "of their dreams" earlier.

That is what I meant.

Interesting that this is the first I've heard of a D300s. Links please?

No one knows what it will be called. D300s, D400, D500, it's all just people making stuff up. In the end, one of them will be right but no one knows as of now.

The D300 is already dropping in price. If you add it to your shopping cart on B&H it comes out to $1569. Might as well get it now, it won't go much lower. Don't expect it to be selling for $700 at Best Buy like the D200 did.

No one knows what it will be called. D300s, D400, D500, it's all just people making stuff up. In the end, one of them will be right but no one knows as of now.

The D300 is already dropping in price. If you add it to your shopping cart on B&H it comes out to $1569. Might as well get it now, it won't go much lower. Don't expect it to be selling for $700 at Best Buy like the D200 did.

So....is there a guarantee that a replacement is even coming soon? I thought they usually released their new stuff around some convention in October or November...and that's quite a ways off still. What makes people think that we are getting a replacement so soon?

From the sounds of it...it would be kinda dumb to wait considering a replacment hasn't even been announced.

You know, I bought mine on ebay and only paid $1400. It was brand new, came with the warranty, free shipping and a few "extras" like a card, tri-pod, etc. So worth it. Buy it now!

So....is there a guarantee that a replacement is even coming soon? I thought they usually released their new stuff around some convention in October or November...and that's quite a ways off still. What makes people think that we are getting a replacement so soon?

From the sounds of it...it would be kinda dumb to wait considering a replacment hasn't even been announced.

It's all rumors, and Nikon usually doesn't reveal new models until 1-2 weeks prior to the release. It's speculated that they might release it in August, but no one knows for sure.

If the D300s is coming soon, it's going to be a pointless "upgrade"

From the supposed specs I have seen on various websites, it doesnt change anything like sensor, resolution, iso performance, autofocus, or anything like that. Just basically gives video and a few other stupid upgrades. Hopefully its more than this, but it doesnt look like thats the case. If this is true, you might as well buy a D300 now while its dropping in price or save to get a D700

If the D300s is coming soon, it's going to be a pointless "upgrade"

From the supposed specs I have seen on various websites, it doesnt change anything like sensor, resolution, iso performance, autofocus, or anything like that. Just basically gives video and a few other stupid upgrades. Hopefully its more than this, but it doesnt look like thats the case. If this is true, you might as well buy a D300 now while its dropping in price or save to get a D700

X2

There is no major ground breaking changes they can make. All Nikon can do is fine tune a few small aspects. NOT worth the price difference they will charge over the D300, even before the D300 started dropping in price.

I've been eying on an SLR for a while to photo fast moving animals. I almost ordered a D90, but I read many consistent & duplicated issues with D90, some kind of lens connection problem, and many people are getting the same type of error messages. When you spend this kind of money, you expect the purchased item to function without issues. Thoese complaints by the D90 owners kept me holding on purchase, I just didn't want to pay for a possibly badly designed camera with a regreat afterward. The D300 doesn't seem to have consistent complains lately (after they had fixed some kid of screen issues a few years ago). I feel safe enough to get a D300 now. I generally bypass a first generation or early generation hardwares.

From what I've read, the fact I know is that Nikon will have two separate conferences on July 30th and August 4th. It's been speculated that they'll be announcing 2 SLRs, one being D300s (or D400 or whatever the name is), with the other SLR being something of an entry model. I don't need the video capability that D300s supposedly has. I'll be happy if the price of D300 comes down as the result. I was just wondering how much the price will come down. D200 got significally cheaper over time after D300 came out, you know.

D300 with video! <chuckle>

Classic.

You know, I bought mine on ebay and only paid $1400. It was brand new, came with the warranty, free shipping and a few "extras" like a card, tri-pod, etc. So worth it. Buy it now!
Did it come in a white box? with a US warranty? or was it an import version whose warranty isn't valid in the USA.

If not? you got a smokin' deal and congrats.

I've been eying on an SLR for a while to photo fast moving animals. I almost ordered a D90, but I read many consistent & duplicated issues with D90, some kind of lens connection problem, and many people are getting the same type of error messages.

HA ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ah ha ha ha.
Since the D90 is an entry level camera a lot of inexperience photographers are using the camera.

I read a lot of forums and haven't heard of a single recurring issue other than users who didn't read their manual and haven't a clue WTF they are doing and then bad mouth the camera because they are inept and don't know it's their fault and there is nothing wrong with the camera.

Maybe, I just read the wrong forums......NAH!:lol::lol::lol:
When you spend this kind of money, you expect the purchased item to function without issues. Thoese complaints by the D90 owners kept me holding on purchase, I just didn't want to pay for a possibly badly designed camera with a regreat afterward. The D300 doesn't seem to have consistent complains lately (after they had fixed some kid of screen issues a few years ago). I feel safe enough to get a D300 now. I generally bypass a first generation or early generation hardwares............
So when it comes to digital cameras you're always one generation behind. That's ok, that works. I have a DSLR that's 2 generations back, a D1X.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back