Pricing

cgipson1 said:
There is not much difference in your blog photos.. and your PROFESSIONAL website photos.. they are NOT professional! :)

EDIT: Sorry if I seem harsh, but I am so DAMNED tired of Craigslist / Facebook Quality fauxtographers that go around destroying the good name of real professional photographers!

That's not my intent at all. That's why I got on here. I want to learn. It may be harsh but it's giving me tips. I'm not claiming to be a pro. I'm on here asking advice and asking for help and trying to learn.

cgipson1 said:
There is not much difference in your blog photos.. and your PROFESSIONAL website photos.. they are NOT professional! :)

EDIT: Sorry if I seem harsh, but I am so DAMNED tired of Craigslist / Facebook Quality fauxtographers that go around destroying the good name of real professional photographers!

That's not my intent at all. That's why I got on here. I want to learn. It may be harsh but it's giving me tips. I'm not claiming to be a pro. I'm on here asking advice and asking for help and trying to learn.

You are charging for extremely sub-par photography... charging makes you a PROFESSIONAL in any buyers eyes! You were on here asking about PRICING (HOW MUCH TO CHARGE), not how to improve your photography!

cgipson1 said:
You are charging for extremely sub-par photography... charging makes you a PROFESSIONAL in any buyers eyes! You were on here asking about PRICING, not how to improve your photography!

Took off prices. I'm just trying to get my ducks and a row and was asking around how ppl charge.. :-/

RachRobPhotog said:
Took off prices. I'm just trying to get my ducks and a row and was asking around how ppl charge.. :-/

I would get a respected photographer to critique my images if I were you. Then you would have more perspective on where you are with your skills.

That way you could better gauge when and how you should eventually start charging.

At this point, I do not think you're ready.

rexbobcat said:
I would get a respected photographer to critique my images if I were you. Then you would have more perspective on where you are with your skills.

That way you could better gauge when and how you should eventually start charging.

At this point, I do not think you're ready.

Ok thanks for the tips!

Josh220 said:
It's not that members here like to tear down new members... It's that there are dozens of these threads created every single day by people who have nowhere enough experience or talent to be charging for their work. The "tearing" down new members complain about is people disagreeing with their optimistic ideas of becoming an esteemed professional making big money, when they should be working for a high school year book.

Now, I am not saying this applies directly to you, since you will not post examples of your work except over processed and OOF images on your blog... But the world is full of amateurs pretending to be pro's and it causes huge problems for those who DO have the skills and have put in the proper time to get to where they are. I would consider finding another professional photographer (someone who has their own business this time) and working under them for a year or two, then reassess the questions you are asking.

Thanks. And I have major respect for those who are successful and are pros. I do not believe I am an armature trying to be a pro. But I def want to put in time and effort to deserve my right. So thanks for the tips.

Sooo... please clarify for me where you feel you fall. What are you? Not snarky, but just confused by your statements.
You are producing a professional website with prices... An amateur who is charging=professional in the public's eye.

MLeeK said:
Sooo... please clarify for me where you feel you fall. What are you? Not snarky, but just confused by your statements.
You are producing a professional website with prices... An amateur who is charging=professional in the public's eye.

I'm not trying to put a label on myself. Sorry for confusion and misunderstandings. I just wanted to know when I got to the point of charging how to base it on. That's all I was simply doing. I took prices off my site cuz I don't want to misrepresent and I am sorry for doing that. I wasn't trying to ask people for labels. Was just asking for advice when I come to that point. Sorry for confusion. :-/

I was just trying to ask ppl based on their experience what was best way to gauge prices. Didn't know I was opening up a can of worms..

You're here to learn, so learn. Your attitude for the most part is a good start. Your images need work. Post a few of what you consider your absolute best, and get some peer CC on them, and learn from that.

I was just trying to ask ppl based on their experience what was best way to gauge prices. Didn't know I was opening up a can of worms..
Forgive us as we tend to get REALLY tired of the posts asking for pricing help from everyone who got a DSLR and now thinks they are producing professional quality work and should be in business. We do get a little snippy about it at times-it gets OLD. Which is not your fault.
We just aren't for degrading the industry any more than it already is.

We are for helping someone to get to a basic professional level and will answer questions and guide down that road. But expect it to be brutally honest. If you want nice and praise? go to your friends and family. That's what they are for. We are here to make you into something better than AWAC/MWAC.

MLeeK said:
Forgive us as we tend to get REALLY tired of the posts asking for pricing help from everyone who got a DSLR and now thinks they are producing professional quality work and should be in business. We do get a little snippy about it at times-it gets OLD. Which is not your fault.
We just aren't for degrading the industry any more than it already is.

We are for helping someone to get to a basic professional level and will answer questions and guide down that road. But expect it to be brutally honest. If you want nice and praise? go to your friends and family. That's what they are for. We are here to make you into something better than AWAC/MWAC.

Understandable. I don't want to degrade the industry either. So thanks for time and patients and forgiveness. And thanks for tips, help and critiques

They're a hard bunch on the newbies, but those who make it through this and stay? They'll share some amazing information. I've been at this for a LOT of years and I am forever learning something from the guys here. There's a lot of knowledge.
You'll do fine here!

MLeeK said:
They're a hard bunch on the newbies, but those who make it through this and stay? They'll share some amazing information. I've been at this for a LOT of years and I am forever learning something from the guys here. There's a lot of knowledge.
You'll do fine here!

Will I plan to stick around. And I really do appreciate the help.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back