Prime lenses for weddings/events

goodguy

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Toying with the thought of trying prime lenses for event photography.
So here are 2 scenario and I would like you opinion

What 2-3 prime lenses would you consider for event photography

Scenario 1
You have 2 bodies one full frame and second APS-C

Scenario 2
You have 2 full frame bodies

Mind you budget is always an issue so while I wouldn't want to cheap out on cheapest possible lenses I also cant afford 2ooo$ f1.4 lenses (a piece)

How much room will you have from camera to subject?
Are you getting one person (full body vs partial), group shots, etc ?
What is your objective of shots at the events ?
based on that then you can identify which fixed lenses to get.

Zooms just make it easier, as it actually contains many fixed lenses that you can adjust between :)

Ok so primes are optically better. But I think only photographers would notice in any way. Sure it's better to be able to go to f1.4 but the convenience of zooms outweigh most situations.

You have a good kit. Maybe suppliment your existing zooms with one good fast prime for when you really need it. Only a suggestion, ymmv, but its very easy to spend thousands with minor improvements. Did you eat a big breakfast, sounds like you might have GAS :)

Events has its own momentum and it can mean in one event you have smaller space and on the other bigger space.
Shooting Food, Decoration, Candids, Groups, Portraits.........etc

I know about shooting events with zooms, I do that, my setup is pretty classic with my 70-200mm 2.8 on my FF and 24-70mm 2.8 on APSC but somehow I feel primes might give me better results and more creative.

Have you tried swapping one of your cameras with your 50mm to see how well it fits ?

These are your events, so you'll know how well they can fit. Just look back at your photos and see what focal lengths were shot.

Ok so primes are optically better. But I think only photographers would notice in any way. Sure it's better to be able to go to f1.4 but the convenience of zooms outweigh most situations.

You have a good kit. Maybe suppliment your existing zooms with one good fast prime for when you really need it. Only a suggestion, ymmv, but its very easy to spend thousands with minor improvements. Did you eat a big breakfast, sounds like you might have GAS :)
GAS is ALWAYS a problem with me :1219: I love to buy camera equipment for sure LOL

I own one prime my 50mm 1.8G
And I use it in lower light situation like when there is dancing and I need to have fast shutter speed and have little light.
But its not about optical advantage, my 2 zooms are plenty sharp and even the bokeh on them is plenty good but I do find the background will melt away so much nicer when shooting at f1.8, this I find is important in events just as much as it would be in outside portrait shoots, f2.8 is great but when I shoot with my 50mm fully open I find the results are more pleasing.
Also I find in very low light and little contrast my 50mm will catch focus better then my other zooms because it will bring my light on sensor thus helping it to focus faster and that is a very important point. I will miss too many shots because of this and I nearly never miss a shot when using my 50mm

Have you tried swapping one of your cameras with your 50mm to see how well it fits ?

These are your events, so you'll know how well they can fit. Just look back at your photos and see what focal lengths were shot.
Yes and I LOVE it in events!

You know your own style and needs. If you need primes you need them. If I had a d750 I certainly wouldn't be coughing up for f1.4 extortion priced primes though. I'd look at the f1.8 - f2 cousins and test drive accordingly

well you are using from 24-200 (excluding any crop factor)
so going to 2 primes you'll be giving up something somewhere
reviewing your past event shots and seeing what you use most of the time you'll better be able to determine which primes to get.
Maybe use 1 prime and one zoom 24-70 ?? It all depends upon your past usage.

I'd suggest shooting with two FX bodies, one on each hip (spider holster) one with a 24-70 2.8 and one with a 70-2000 2.8.
Where does one get this 70-2,000/2.8 lens. I WANT ONE !!
:)

I'd suggest shooting with two FX bodies, one on each hip (spider holster) one with a 24-70 2.8 and one with a 70-2000 2.8.
Where does one get this 70-2,000/2.8 lens. I WANT ONE !!
:)

Problem is most events don't allow you bring in a forklift to carry your lenses :)

Problem is most events don't allow you bring in a forklift to carry your lenses :)[/QUOTE]
Seriously? You have shot a wedding where you weren't allowed to bring 3 camera bodies and 3 lenses?
We also shoot rock stars and write reviews for a music magazine. In huge arenas. Once that photo/press pass is on, not one person has ever said, "excuse me! You can't shoot with two cameras in the pit."
Please give me an example of an event that doesn't let a pro bring in a gear bag.
We take 5 cameras to every wedding, 3 that we use and two for emergency in case of gear failure.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the disagree :345:

I think you missed the misprint. You mentioned a 70-2000mm f2.8 ;) , maybe a forklift would lift this

@goodguy Back on track, have you considered the need for a macro lens at all?

@eal76
Typo ... 70 - TWO THOUSAND is what you type "70-2000 2.8"
typo of 70-200

Most reactions

New Topics

Back