Print exchanges?

markc

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.markcarpenter.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I was wondering if there would be an interest in doing a group print exchange. There are a couple of different ways of doing it, but this is how the ones I've taken part in worked.

Decide on a print size that everyone will use, give or take depending upon format. If small prints are used, then 4" could be the smallest dimension and 6" is the max. This way you could have 4x5, 4x6 and 6x6 (or 4x4 or 5x5) prints. If larger, then 8x8, 8x10, 8x12, etc. 12x12 might not be feasible in this case just because of common envelope sizes. This works well as an 8x10 prints can be make on both A (letter) and A4 paper sizes.

Everyone who is interested signs up. If you sign up, it's important to follow through so that people aren't wasting money on extra prints. To keep it managable and affordable, it's usually good to have a limit for the number participating. If a lot of people are interested, more than one group can be run at the same time.

Everyone decides on a single image to use and makes enough copies for everyone who has signed up. If there are ten people, you make nine prints (since you don't need one for yourself).

Your prints plus a self-addressed envelope with correct postage is sent to the poor sap, I mean coordinator, who has volunteered to put it all together. A deadline is important so that people aren't left waiting.

The coodinator makes a pile for each person that includes a single print of each of the others minus the sender. These are sent back in the envelope provided.

Personally I lean towards the 8x10 size, even if it means smaller groups. A 4x6 is too similar to what's on the web and isn't as nice to display if it really grabs you. If there is interest in both sizes, two groups could be run.

If people are interested, what print sizes would you like to use and how big of a group would work for you?

I was just thinking about this again recently too, Mark! I was actually going to post it a couple days ago, then I spaced out...

I would be happy to coordinate, unless anyone else is dying to. ;)

My thoughts: as I mentioned before, making a ton of prints in the darkroom could be, well, a *****, so I was thinking maybe we could limit it to say 3 prints, and then people would just get a random three instead of one of everybody. I agree with the size issue, I was thinking of saying it should be between 5x7 and 8x10.

I'm interested in this. I have one reservation about it though. If we decided to use 8x10 prints those get pretty expensive (i may not be able to get into a darkroom.) I like the idea of 3 or so prints and then getting random ones. But you could wait and see how many people sign up for it first.

I'd be interested, as long as the prints don't have to be handmade in a darkroom. I can do the inkjet thing, or take them to a local 1 hour place.

Also, will there be any guidelines as to what type of subject to shoot, or anything goes? I ask because I know some of the really active folks here don't like flowers, or cars, or (insert what you don't like here).

Do I ask too many questions? :shock:
Have I been voted off the island? :lol:

Newbies, oldbies, all are welcome, in my view.

Any type of photo quality print would be acceptable.

I don't think any subject matter would be off limits, you pick which ever print you want to share. If they don't like it, screw 'em! :x Or maybe we could allow people to put one request in for their random pics, such as "no flowers please"? Or maybe not, that could get complicated. Ok, back to screw 'em! :x 8) :lol:

Oh yeah. I had forgot that random was mentioned the last time this was brought up. That's probably a good idea. We wouldn't have to limit it then, either. Or worry about making the exact right number. If people don't make the deadline, it doesn't throw everything off.

I would vote that inkjet prints or traditional are acceptable, since I'd being doing inkjet myself. ;)

Would 8x8 - 8x12 work for people, if they are making only 3?

oriecat said:
Newbies, oldbies, all are welcome, in my view.

Any type of photo quality print would be acceptable.

I don't think any subject matter would be off limits, you pick which ever print you want to share. If they don't like it, screw 'em! :x Or maybe we could allow people to put one request in for their random pics, such as "no flowers please"? Or maybe not, that could get complicated. Ok, back to screw 'em! :x 8) :lol:

Oh yeah. I think anyone should be able to participate. And it's pot-luck. The only genre I think we should say no to is nudes. Don't want to be corrupting any youths and going to jail for it.

oriecat said:
My thoughts: as I mentioned before, making a ton of prints in the darkroom could be, well, a *****, so I was thinking maybe we could limit it to say 3 prints, and then people would just get a random three instead of one of everybody. I agree with the size issue, I was thinking of saying it should be between 5x7 and 8x10.

We could also split it up into smaller exchange groups with different themes, sizes, medium, etc... such as 5x5/7/7.5 BW darkroom, 8x8/10/12 BW darkroom, 5x5/7/7.5 traditional color print, 8x8/10/12 traditional color print, 8x8/10/12 inkjet prints, nature, street, portraits, abstracts, panos, etc...

This would limit the amount of prints anyone would have to produce and help insure that folks are getting a photograph/subject matter that they are into.

I'm in on the 16x traditional BW darkroom exchange 8)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back