Print exchanges?

I would love to participate, I think 8x10 for darkroom people is a good size, and for ink jetters i dunno what is normal, 8x12?

I would prefer to give/receive one from everyone participating because I would love to see everyone elses work. I know it would be alittle extra money/time but i think we would all enjoy that more. The only thing that bothers me about it though is presentation. It would be nice to be able to sign prints so the artist gets their due credit. But mats are expensive and i don't know a cheap yet professional way to handle that. Either way i would love to know who's print it is.
As for what i received, i wouldn't care, as long as i know that its an image you are proud of. We could do a theme based exchange if you want, but what theme i am not sure. Landscapes are always beautiful. The only thing i think we should try to avoid is nudes/models, because we don't know who we are looking at, and if i was to hang a print i would like to be able to tell people something about it. And nudes for obvious reasons.

I personally think i would send out an infrared landscape, they are unusual and most peole find them interesting. Unless i print something spectaculer in the next few weeks. LOL

As for a "due date" it should prolly be sometime in late June or July though. I know i am in school until the 2nd week of June and it will be alot easier to get into the darkroom after school ends then before. But i think i could find the time either way.

I would love to participate - but unfortunately - 8x10's would fast become expensive. Especially if we were having one made for everyone participating...

10 8x10's would cost me $88.60. - And I have to tell you - that is around my weeks wage at the moment...

Also, something to think about - A stamped, self adressed envelope isn't going to be the easiest thing when you are working with different countries - for example - if the coordinator was in the US - I would have to send an envelope with Australian stamps - therefore, I would never get my photos back...

Ouch thats alot for 8x10's, are you using digital? As for the stamps, i never thought of that, but you bring up a good point.

As far as stamps are concerned, that would be a pretty simple fix. Anyone outside of the U.S. (if thats where the co-ordinator is) could just include a check, money order, or cash for postage and then the co-ordinator could handle that for them.

I have a mix of inkjet prints (for some of my Polaroid stuff) and traditional 8x10's, plus high quality inkjet prints OF my traditional 8x10's.

I'd say we try to send the highest quality one can reasonably afford, so as not to exclude anyone who wants in.

Sounds like good clean fun. :D

Vote? I'm not following you. You print up whatever pic you want to contribute.

Unless no one else wants to step up, I will take coordinator. I will start with a poll to see what the people want in terms of print #.

A thought: for those without a good printer, or those overseas who might want to participate without mailing internationally, perhaps using one of the online printing places, like where you upload your photo then they make enlargements for you, then they could be shipped direct to me. I know snapfish does it, 5x7s are 95 cents and 8x10s are 3.something. Where else is there? Does anyone have one they already use and would recommend?

This is a great idea, and I'd love to participate. As far as online printing, I have a print account with Deviantart.com. I don't know if anyone here is familiar with that website. It's an artists community, and after a one time fee of $25, you can sell your prints online through them, and they take care of payment, printing, and shipping, and you get half of the profit on whatever you charge above the cost.

I can get 8x12's printed for $2.50, and they are super high quality. They have very nice printers, and use Fuji Cyrstal Archive paper. It's worth checking out, even if you just use it to buy your own prints. I've had shots from my Drebel printed from them at 20"x30" and they look phenomenal, at a cost of $14.

I'd be happy to contribute 8x12's of any of the photos seen here, and I'm adding more to that everyday.

id be in just the deadline cant be to soon if we do the darkroom thang cuz it will give peeps who dont have a darkroom time to do it or people like me it will just give me time to do it... also why dont we just do it like secret santa ish where u just get someones adress and ship it to them so u dont have to spend so much money on shipping it twice (not that its soo much money just a suggestion)

That would make it harder, since we will probably be doing 5 prints. So if everyone shipped their five separately, and then paid to get 5 back, everyone would be paying postage on 10 packages instead of 2.

We haven't talked about deadline yet... I am thinking a couple weeks from now. Maybe early June?

early June sounds like a good time. Plenty of time to get to a darkroom, or whatever. Is there going to be a list or something to sign up on or how is that going to work?

Since it doesn't matter how many people sign up, since we are doing a set # of prints instead of a print for each person, then people don't really need to sign up in advance (altho it is nice to know who will be involved). I'll post more specifics soon.

as far as the printing, Costso surprisingly has good prints for a great price. Plus you can have prints done via a web interface. You can get color profiles of almost all the different printers they have too.

Most reactions

Back