Prints? Copyright release?

You know what, I am pretty sure she did say print release.

But when I told her I was the photographer, I am pretty sure she said copyright something?

Are there two different terms, like if I was not the photographer vs if I was?
As the photographer, you own the copyright to any photos you take as soon as that photo is recorded in a tangible medium, like a memory card. Some photographers add a copyright statement to their photos.

A valid copyright statement is © 2010 (the year of first publication) Your Name Here (the copyright owner. A copyright statement is not required on a photo. (To make the copyright symbol ©, hold down the Alt-key as you type 0169 on the number key pad. If you have a laptop, you must enable the number keypad on the keyboard rather than use the number across the top of the keyboard.)

No one else can copy, edit, or make a derivative of it, or "borrow" it and post it on some photography forum you didn't intend for it to wind up on, without your expressed written permission.

Copyright is actually a bundle of rights.

When I sell a Use License to a commercial image, I am selling the right to use part of my copyright bundle for a limited period of time, usually 1-5 years.

The client tells me what they need, like 12 months of non-exclusive use, in the United States only, on the inside of a brochure, at a size no larger than 1/4 of the page, that they will print no more than 5,000 copies of and I charge them accordingly for that first years use.

If they later decide they want one of my images on the cover of their annual corporate report with exclusive, world-wide use, and they will print 200,000 copies....they will have to pay a lot more to use the image.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back