Prints vs. DVD Images

Great feedback and great ideas. Thanks to all. and as Big Mike and ksmattfish pointed out, I'd hate to have my images printed in poor quality then displayed. I'd rather give away a custom 11 x 14 than run this risk of a home inkjet 11 x 14 displayed on their wall. Guess it's just something us old timers from the film era will have to work though. :)

Thanks again.

Big Mike said:
The one thing that would still bother me, is when/if they print it themselves and display it in their home...then someone visits them and says "that print looks terrible, who was your photographer?" I doubt that they will stand up for you and explain that they cheaped out and printed it poorly themselves. Through no fault of your own, you could then have negative word of mouth advertising.
True, but a good percentage of the photographers I know give out the files with or without the prints/albums. And people must be educated on the difference between printing from a drug store vs a pro lab. It's probably easier said than to do. :)
This thread just gave me an idea to make prints from both the places for a side by side comparison, while meeting with the clients.

I give them the 4x6 prints (not proofs) in an album along with a couple of enlargements. But if I'm the client, I'd also prefer to have a classy album.
What's a wedding without an album. :)

Coffee Table Albums can be a cash cow. Check this link. I like the potential of 'predesign'.
Btw, does anyone uses his Album Designer and has anyone bought his Step By Step Guide To Getting Rich As A Photographer DVD set?

Big Mike said:
...but the perceived cost has shifted from reprints to the actual shooting...

This is the way commercial work has always been priced... time plus materials. In the past (and now), a commercial client would NEVER have accepted paying $80 for an 8x10, while a portrait client had difficulty paying lawyer's hourly rates.

This IS changing. Maybe that's something good that the digital age has brought... it's not as simple as having the tools, ya gotta know how to use 'em.

Pete

Christie Photo said:
This IS changing. Maybe that's something good that the digital age has brought... it's not as simple as having the tools, ya gotta know how to use 'em.

Good point. Unfortunately, some of the wedding client base still thinks about photography in the old school. They may think that since they only get the digital files and maybe 4x6 prints...that the price should be significantly lower. Or they may hire someone (or get their uncle to do it) simply because he has a 'fancy' camera.

This is my first post! I played around with film SLRs for a few years as a teenager, but didn't get into photography until the digital age. If anything, I have struggled with creating packages that include prints and albums because I've always worked on the digital files and have little experience building physical albums. I'm used to taking 1000+ photos, weeding out the bad ones and providing my clients with hundreds of high-res files. I don't even know where to begin with albums: how many prints does an album contain? What is a typical album package?

I love the idea of working with the physical prints to ensure my photos look as good as they can, but my packages are not set up to cover those costs. What do packages that include prints and albums look like?

CD of all images, for internet use (low resolution .jpg): $100
CD of all images, unretouched, for printing use (high resolution): $200
CD of all images, retouched, for printing use (high resolution): $400

Individual or Two-Person Photography:
Budget Package:
Session Length: 1/2 hour
Session Price: $50

Professional Package:
Session Length: 1 hour
Session Cost: $100
Personal Package:
Session Length: 2 hours
Session Cost: $200
Deluxe Package:
Session Length: 3 hours
Session Cost: $300
Group/Family Photography:
Add $50 to package price.
Location portraits:
Pricing is similar to that of studio portaits, but includes additional fees depending on the complexity of the environment, as well as travel costs.

Photo prices:
1 sheet wallets (8/sheet, single image): $10
10 sheet wallets (8/sheet, single image): $75
1 sheet 5"x7" (2/sheet, single image): $10
10 sheets 5"x7" (2/sheet, single image): $75
8"x10": $20
11x14": $40

This is what I've seen recently.

Here is my little goldmine...........

I give all the brides and grooms a full resolution DVD of images. But what about those out of town guests? I do table shots. And they almost always buy them.

But what about the bride and groom? And here is the kicker.....When they purchase from me, they have a lifetime warranty. Yep, lifetime as in until one of us dies.
Think of it this way. They order a large print, say, a Gallery Wrap 20x24 at $750. If it ever goes awry, I fix it for whatever the fix cost is, or get them a new one. My cost is substantially less.

The facts about Warranties:
People LOVE them, but usually don't take advantage of them. How many products do you have in your home right now that have a lifetime warranty? How many products have you sent back to take advantage of it?
But didn't that lifetime warranty help you with your decision to buy?

My normal reprint total is between 500 and 1500. Shockingly, the reprints are coming from the bride and groom (who have the disc) or family members who have access to it.

Hope that helps.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back