Problems with uploading from canon t3

Sjbphotography

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I've recently been helping a friend who is having some problems with his new canon t3. When he uploads photos to Microsoft photo gallery, the photos double upload. There is the normal photo (he's shooting in L) and a photo where only the Microsoft photo icon appears. When it is opened it says that the file is not compatible with photo gallery.
I cannot for the life of me figure out what's wrong with it, I use iPhoto in Mac and I've never encountered a problem like this!
Thanks in advance if anyone can help!

Have them check file settings, I'm guessing its set to jpeg and raw, the unknown files will be raw. He should have canon DPP software that can read them and do basic processing.

The file isn't raw, I've checked and the camera isn't shooting in raw, even when it does the raw files show up on his computer, along with the same icon.

Hmm, what is the file extension?

I've recently been helping a friend who is having some problems with his new canon t3. When he uploads photos to Microsoft photo gallery, the photos double upload. There is the normal photo (he's shooting in L) and a photo where only the Microsoft photo icon appears. When it is opened it says that the file is not compatible with photo gallery.
I cannot for the life of me figure out what's wrong with it, I use iPhoto in Mac and I've never encountered a problem like this!
Thanks in advance if anyone can help!

The camera can shoot and save in "JPEG" mode, or in "RAW" mode, but it also has a "RAW+JPEG" mode where it saves both.

This sounds exactly like what would happen if your friend is shooting in RAW+JPEG mode. When you take one photo, the camera saves the RAW file (.CR2 extension) and then processes the image into a JPEG based on whatever setting were chosen (in your friend's case, the "L" quality -- but JPEG applies many other processing choices as well such as white balance, Canon "photo style", de-noising (for high-ISO images), and others.)

iPhoto knows how to read Canon RAW files. Apple includes support for "camera RAW" in the operating system. Microsoft actually does have camera RAW support -- but it's not installed by default (it's an optional download you have to add.)

If it isn't RAW+JPEG mode then it's nothing to do with the camera at all, because if your friend is really shooting JPEG only then there is only a single image file on the memory card for each exposure shot.

I strongly suspect your friend has enabled RAW+JPEG mode ... even if they don't realize it.

Most reactions

Back