Protecting against copying.....

I am not a professional, but I have thoughts as a consumer and *maybe* someday a professional

First, I wouldn't reproduce if it was VERY clear in the contract. Yes, not all people are honest, but I think that most would be, especially if you have a friendly relationship with them. And put a great big, no reproductions stamp on the back with your name and phone number. Make sure they understand so any violation is a willfull violation.

Second, make prices affordable. I have been paying $30+ for 8x10 prints and I just found out they only cost a couple bucks to send out to a professional lab. Keep it under $20. Honestly, high print prices make us parents have to choose between photos of our kids and that kind of sucks. I think that might push people to making reprints when they cant afford the prices of your photos (it is your photo but it is there children). I, and most of my friends, go into it with a photo budget. If we are going to spend $300 we are going to spend $300 and the prices dont really effect that. If they were cheeper, we would just be able to buy more and send them to people...not a bad thing.

third, Sell or make available low res photos for online use. It sucks having all these photos that are amazing and not being able to show them to grandma in Oregon or aunt Tina in new York. Also, parents like to share online your work with their friends, it can get you business. Also consider message boards. People would love low res photos to be able to put on their signatures and as avs and on their blogs. Consider selling a cd of low low res photos for computer use. Put a cute label on it and again remind not to reprint.

fourth, I got some photos printed on some lovely texture paper (my own work) and on a whim tried to scan it. The reflective texture really made the product ugly. So you will know at least if they do try, it wont be good quality.

its simple,

figure out through their budget and all what you would have made if they bought all prints through you. , so you figure this family could prob spend 400 in prints, and they paid you 250 for the portrait sitting, (example)

charge them 500 (about70% of the potential print price) and give them medium res pics. good for everything except 20x30 and larger.

You just saved yourself a lot of time and running back and forth.
and you dont have to waste time policing your pics.

But the more commercial - esque the job was, I would be more stringent.

I could care less if they copy my images. In fact I very much expect they will.

I charge a decent amount for the photography and anything extra in print sales etc is a bonus.

yeah, people dont realize they spend more time police - ing these things then they get in sales.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back