purchase decision

itsajeepthing

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Warm greetings all,

I am a p&s'r looking to graduate to DLSR. I have approx $3500 Canadian Dollars budgeted for my initial purchase. I have a lot to learn and at this point am just trying to make as good a decision as possible for my initial purchase. Right now my short list consists of:

Canon 20D
Nikon D50
Nikon D70s

Don't worry, I'm not going to ask which is the better camera, I've read enough to realize this is not a good question. I would like to hear from the people that use these cameras though: fav feature, weakest part of the cam, etc.

I primarily take outdoor and nature shots, and a fair amount of indoor "portrait" style shots.

So far I've decided to go with a "body only" purchase, and then try to go for the best glass I can afford. I really like the price point of the Nikon D50, gives me more room for better glass, but I am concerned that I may be making too much of a compromise in features. My understanding is that the difference in pic quality for these 3 models is really negligible and the difference is in the features offered and ease of use.

I guess the next question will then become which lenses to start out with..... any advice in this area would be great.

Also if anyone knows a good learning resource out there for a complete SLR beginner, please let me know!!!

Thanks all

:hail:

:thumbup: Thanks for the welcome Rob.

Yeah I have been saving a little bit here and there for about a year in order to make this purchase, so I am really excited. Too bad that taxes will take up 15% of my budget :er:

Best advise, go try them out. Actually hold them in your hands and play with them. This will be more valuable that anything else. Don't get me wrong, the advise here is fantastic, bar none. BUT you should have a feel for the cam you choose and this is the best way to do that.

Good luck choosing, you picked three great cameras.

Yeah so far I think I like the feel of the Canon the most.

By the way those storm pics from your sig are wild! I can't imagine what it must have been like in person to have a "wall" coming at you like that! :shock:

Welcome,

I've got a 20D and I love it. I didn't really consider Nikon since I already had a Canon film EOS. I did choose the 20D over the Rebel XT because of the feel and usability.

Have you considered the Canon Rebel XT? It's cheaper than the 20D, but with about the same image quality.

Have you heard about the 30D? It's basically the new 20D (which has been discontinued b.t.w.) It will hard to get for the next few months, as it was just released and may not even be shipping yet. It's basically the same as the 20D (same sensor) but it has a bigger LCD screen, bigger buffer, and a few firmware tweaks.

Although, you might be able to get a good deal on a 20D now.

While it is a good idea to budget for some good lenses...if you want a wide field of view on any of these cameras, you will need an ultra wide lens. That either means spending a lot for a real wide lens...or getting a cheap kit lens with the body.

You will surely have read that a lot of people bi*ch about the kit lens (especially the Canon 18-55)...but for only $100 more (with the body)...it gives you a fairly wide FOV when you need it. I've got that lens, and it's not really that bad...but it feels like a toy.

I would think with a budget like that you could get a decent setup for a D200. The D200 seems to be a solid camera and although it will be way over your head at first, should afford you a lot of room to grow. Also the 10+ megapixel will allow you to enlarge your photos with minor resolution loss to quite large sizes. I have only read about the D200 but it has many features that seem very attractive. I would say research the D200 before you go any further. I have a D50 and love it but if i had your budget I would hav gone with the d200 no question.

Honestly the Rebel did not feel as substantial or satisfying to hold as the 20d. It fits my hand perfectly. I was looking at lenses for the canon already, and had considered the following a candidates as decent lenses to start with:

Canon EF-S 10-22mm 3.5-4.5 USM
Canon EF-S 17-85mm F4-5.6 IS USM

although I am starting to wonder if I will need something a bit longer than 17-85mm......

If I ended going with Nikon instead, I would be looking for the equivalent in Nikon lenses.

D-50 thanks for bringing up the D200. I really considered that one too for a while. But after reading a lot, it seems that getting "better" lenses is a reasonable priority. Unfortunately the D200 body alone goes for around $2149 at Henry's That barely leaves any room for lenses after taxes. Right now I can pickup up the Canon 20d for $1499, Nikon D50 for $819, or Nikon D70s for $1049. The price of the 20d has gone down $200 since the 30d news came out.

I guess the question is, is the Canon worth the extra money when compared to the two Nikons?

Both are solid companies that are leaders in the industry. You cant go wrong either way. I use a Nikon and from what I hear Canons are a bit better at focusing but Nikons can take more of a beating. If your going to go hiking or to the sidelines of a sporting event the durability of a Nikon will be great, if you are taking studio shots or portraits the Canon may be better. My suggestion would be go with the D70 with its kit lens which is the solid 18-70mm. This kit goes for 1200 USD. But that is just my opinion and I am a Nikon user.

Ya, the XT is too small and too light for me (and no thumb wheel)...but I've heard that it's much better with the battery grip attached.

From all that I've read...the 20D compares very well against those two Nikons. Obviously it's a level above the D50, which is more comparable to the XT.

The 20D is said to have the cleanest images (noise wise)...even better or as good as the 5D. Other than that...I think the D70s pretty even with the 20D.

I've seen different magazine "DSLR SHOOT OUT" articles where either one has come out on top...so take your pick. No need to start a Canon vs Nikon debate...they are both really good.

Agreed they are both great cameras. I guess that's why the choice is so difficult. I just got off the phone with the sales rep I've been dealing with at Henry's. He has taken an extra 200 bills off the price of the Canon if I buy the 17-85mm lens with it. I think he may have just made up my mind for me!

Sounds like a good deal to me. That lens is supposed to be great...I wish I had that one rather than the 18-55.

You might be interested in the 30D. It's basically a mix between the 20D and the 5D. Supposedly coming out in the spring.

Most reactions

Back