Quality Filters?

yogibear

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Looking to get a nice line up of filters for my camera. Any suggestions on good brands to use? Im not looking to spend a fortune but a good quality set of UV,ND,GND, and some polarizing filters would be nice.

Thanks

Tiffen and Hoya are two good brands. Quality filters are important and no brand names most of the time lack in quality. They definitly are not cheap sometimes either.

Thank you both. Well if it ends up forcing me to wait on a few filters in order to get a few quality ones, so be it. Thanks again.

I use only Heliopan and B+W, they are Schott glass, the special optical glass from germany and the filters run from 70-80 dollars a piece.

Kenko is the brand I tend to recommend. It's Hoya's more pro line. Harder glass, and brass fittings. Makes for a better quality than the basic Hoya ones.

As far as ND filters go, are you wanting solid ND or graduated?

I would say don't wait to get a filter. Go and buy a cheap skylite filter and protect your lens. Then save your money for the "quality" specialized filter you want.

Vince

In terms of "cheap but good", I'd recommend standard Hoya filters. Their most expensive ones don't cost more than £50, and their cheapest cost about a tenner. The circular polarizer I have is very handy, it gives the photo a nice saturation boost without softening the image much, if at all.

For the more expensive ones, I'd have to jump on the bandwagon and say B+W. they're expensive, but they are as good as they get.

Oooohhhhh. That is just sooo wrong on several layers.
Especially since Skylight's are only for use in the shade eh :p

As to B+W being the best.. Rodenstock is made in the same factory, every bit as good and tend to be cheaper. Also, Singh-ray make some damn fine filters. But these are all rather pricey for filters. Kenko is a good alternative, price wise and quality wise.

For professional landscapers, Lee Filters are the way to go. I think they only manufacture the square filter systems. Cost an arm and a leg mind you, but if you want the best...

If you're looking for cheap and cheerful, I've had good luck with the Cokin P system of square filters. An adapter ring + holder will set you back about £15-20, and filters are also £15 each. Here are examples of two shots I used them for:

http://flickr.com/photos/ozga/2889951741/

http://flickr.com/photos/ozga/2760313333/

Good luck.

For professional landscapers, Lee Filters are the way to go. I think they only manufacture the square filter systems. Cost an arm and a leg mind you, but if you want the best...

If you're looking for cheap and cheerful, I've had good luck with the Cokin P system of square filters. An adapter ring + holder will set you back about £15-20, and filters are also £15 each.

Lee filters are definitely amongst the best but they are expensive. I found that Cokin filters are cheap for a reason: the quality is not very good, particularly the ND and ND grads, which are not truly neutral and can introduce some nasty colour casts in grey skies. I found Hitech/Formatt filters to be good value for money. They are cheaper than Lee filters and I cannot tell the difference between the 2 (I use both).

Most reactions

New Topics

Back