Question about long exposures

Just shot my 3rd, and final digital shot for the night. I have to move all of my **** into my bedroom and get the shots onto my computer. Right now I am waiting for it to process...

Alright heres what I got. I like the color better, but I need a better location. I barely have any room in my backyard, and if I go out front, theres cars driving by and lights from other places.
A actually like these shots, makes me want to go out of the city to take a long exposure lol. Next time try setting your camera to point at the star that doesn't change place or does very little. This way you shots look a little better. Read that somewhere, just forgot where. O and BTW your sensor is dirty lol.

Here it is:

3173062788_51d504d5c4_o.jpg

EWW, I see it now. Do you guys know what I should expect to pay to get it cleaned?

Pay? Sensors aren't that delicate, you can very easily and safely clean it yourself. You just need something like those microfiber tipped pens that you get at camera stores for less than $20. I personally would never send my camera away for something as trivial as dust.

Now raspberry jam on the other hand...

Buy one of those Giotto rocket blowers which are not to expensive,, set you camera to manual sensor cleaning, take off the lens and blow your sensor with it. My sensor is extremely dirty which is why I'm still waiting for my sensor cleaning kit from B&H. To check how dirty you sensor really is take a picture of anything white, load it up in photoshop and do auto leveling(Ctrl+Shift+L I think) like that you will see all the dust spots and you will actually be very surprised like I was lol.

PS: Just thought I'd mention that the sensors on a film camera are the actual film itself, so you have nothing to worry about :).

Those shots were on my D40 which is digital. I am pretty sure it doesnt have a sensor cleaner built in either. Do I just clean the mirror directly behind where the lens is, or is it a different part? I dont want to mess anything up

Bear in mind that you're not cleaning the sensor itself, just the high-pass filter that stops infra-red light getting in.

In order to clean it, get yourself a Giottos Rocket Blower. They cost less than £10 and if that's too much, hell, you can even use a 99p mustard bottle ;). Then go into your camera's menu, into the spanner icon, then select "Mirror Lock-up" (you may need to go into "CSM/Setup menu and choose Full instead of Simple). Then take off the lens and press the shutter button. The mirror should lift up, leaving you to blow the dust away. Also, if you have low batteries, you won't be able to do it.

Now that's done, I must say I LOVE those photos. Honestly, the second set were just fantastic. The colours were really lovely and vibrant, and the tree added that tiny bit of foreground interest. Great job!

I will try that either tonight or tomorrow. I thought the sensor was more sensitive that what you are describing.

Thanks for the comments on the photos too. There are more to come I have to get some film developed and I may go to another location.

Do you guys think that my camera will be ok with a longer exposure? I want to stop down more and do like a 20 or 25 minute to get longer star trails.

wait i feel like a retard, A d40 can take that long of exposures???

Yes it can, I have it on bulb, and I am using a remote for the shutter.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back