Question about Nikon dslr cameras.

kylesfreelance

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hello, what kind of microphones can u plug in to the external stereo microphone input. I did a bunch of research and and found out Nikon claims it wont work with a third party microphone.

Any microphone that has the right size plug and input impedance should work just fine.

Where does Nikon make the claim you mention?

I called them and asked them and they said we dont endorse third party microphones we only reccomend the ME-1. So i can convert a xlr to 3mm then plug in to mic input right.

They wont endorse it because they obviously want you to use Nikon products, i'm sure the same person that told you that also says you can't use Sandisk or Transcend memory cards.
The microphone input is a standard 3.5mm jack plug (stereo) so any microphone that has this plug will fit and wont do any damage, Professional microphones tend to use the larger 1/4 inch (6.35mm) plug but adapters are readily available to convert this to a 3.5mm

Read your Nikon warranty.

If you use 3rd party gear, and that gear causes a problem with your camera that requires a camera repair during the warranty period, don't be surprised when Nikon refuses to do the repair as a warranty repair.

Hi kylesfreelance, if you want to plug a professional mic with a balanced 600 ohm output into a consumer ~2500 ohm input, you will need an impedance matching transformer like this one or this one - not just an adapter.

I use the Hosa cable to adapt a a professional mic to my Panasonic camera. Here is my setup:
$P1010660.JPG

Hope this is helpful,

Bill

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Hi kylesfreelance - As long as you have a battery powered external mic with an XLR output and adapt it to your Nikon's 3.5mm mic input jack with one of the line matching transformers I recommended above, you should be fine.

If your mic is unpowered, however, there is one more requirement. You will need to find a way to provide it with line or "phantom" power. The least expensive solution for this is the $57 battery-powered ART Phantom II Pro.

Sadly, plugging XLR mics into consumer cameras isn't simple. You may be better off spending $100 for a used Rode Video mic.

Again, hope this is helpful and not too confusing,

Bill

What mic is that.

Hi kylesfreelance, if you want to plug a professional mic with a balanced 600 ohm output into a consumer ~2500 ohm input, you will need an impedance matching transformer like this one or this one - not just an adapter.

I use the Hosa cable to adapt a a professional mic to my Panasonic camera. Here is my setup:
View attachment 33309

Hope this is helpful,

Bill

kylesfreelance said:
But i don't know if it will work with a nikon dslr.

You got a point and shoot, not a DSLR. Unless you got a different camera than you said in your other thread.

kylesfreelance said:
Yep I got a different one Im getting.

You got a different one or getting a different one?

Im working on getting a different one i did some thinking and realized dslr is a better route.

Most reactions

Back