Question on Minolta Mount

Discussion in 'Photography Equipment & Products' started by panocho, May 26, 2007.

1. panocho

panocho TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    Anyone shooting Minolta (or who just know it) could tell me about the different Minolta Mounts?

I would like to know whether they've changed the mount (as I guess) after the MD. Did they change it when they started AF? And did they change it (again?) for the digital bodies? In such case, could an AF and a digital body mount MD lenses?

2. Don Simon

Don Simon TPF Noob!

In the manual focus era, Minolta used one manual focus mount, 'SR', commonly known as MC or MD (actually the designation of the lenses, not the mount). In the mid-80s they made the change to autofocus and introduced the new A mount, which has been used ever since on both 35mm and digital, and now being adopted by Sony. As far as I know compatibility is fairly simple: If you have a Dynax/Maxxum/Alpha it will mount any autofocus lens, and if you have a manual-focus camera it will mount a manual focus lens. Minolta/Sony autofocus cameras however will not mount a Minolta manual focus lens - even with an adapter it would not work properly, as the adapter would need an optical element to compensate for the spacing difference (which of course would act as a teleconverter and degrade the image).

I believe the 4/3 mount of Olympus' E-system is the only one that will mount a Minolta manual-focus lens and work with a glassless adapter.

3. panocho

panocho TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    thanks for the information!

I did guess that MD was only a lens designation, not mount, but didn't know the name for the mount.

It's been really helpful!

4. Mike_E

Mike_E No longer a newbie, moving up!

The Upper West Side of Mississippi (you have no i
    Photos OK to edit
    Not looking at the dark side, are you Panocho? ;)

5. panocho

panocho TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    feel the anger...