Question regarding a medium format camera....

Zoolfoos

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Can someone recommend a medium format SLR with a focal plane shutter that might be affordable? I'm just not particularly excited about spending $2000+ on a Hasselblad. :)

They don't gather the "oooooooo"'s and "aaaaaahhhhh"'s like a Hassy does but I am happy with my Pentax 645 and 67. Either or both are on the affordable side now-a-days.

Very similar to the Hasselblad is the Kiev 88.
It´s a Russian copy...looks like a Hasselblad, and works the same, shoots 2 1/4 square...is solid and reliable, and LOUD.
Where I come from it has the nickname "Russelblad"

Look for it in Google
:)

The earlier Bronicas with focal-plane shutters are good if you can find them. Also, as usayit said, the Pentax ones are excellent and take some really great glass. The 67 tends to still be on the expensive side because of the larger negative, but the 645 is
getting very affordable, as are the lenses for it.

There's also the Graflex Norita, but over recent years that seems to have developed "Rare collector's item" status with prices to match.

You know what would be an interesting setup?

* Pentax 645n with an array of prime lenses
* Pentax 645 to Kmount adapter (yes.. by Pentax with focus to infinity maintained)
* Pentax DSLR with maybe a medium zoom.

This would give you a wonderful flexible system that will allow you to use any 645 lens on a DSLR.

Please don't say that...

There's a 645n in the window of my local shop, and I've been watching some of the FA lenses going for silly prices on ebay. I'm trying to tell myself I can't justify it but... :lol:

Thanks for the timely response! :D

Brinca Etrsi I got two and I love them.

etrsi.gif

Please don't say that...

There's a 645n in the window of my local shop, and I've been watching some of the FA lenses going for silly prices on ebay. I'm trying to tell myself I can't justify it but... :lol:

No need for a 645N... just look for the 1984+ 645 (the original version). They are going for next to nothing these days and work every bit as good as the more expensive N version (a bit louder though). Lenses OMG.. they are wonderfully made and are going for "silly prices". Even new... IMO they were still better bang for the buck than other offerings.

I still can't believe that Pentax hasn't made a digital 645 available... If they can bring that format in digital at less than hassy godly prices, I think they would have a wonderful chance. I am a long time fan of Pentax who got fed up with them and went Canon... they certainly would have me thinking about returning home.

I can easily see a pro using
645N, 645 digital, K10D backup w/adapter, and an array of 645 lenses as their primary system.

139143940.jpg

Most reactions

Back