Questions about Zooms

Craig J

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I am seeing questions about lenses and zooms and the advise seems to lead in the same direction, that being "you have to spend lots of money". Nobody is giving bad advise its just that I would not want to see beginners get scared away because of money.

Just as an example I am going to review a cheap zoom and share my test photos. The lens is a Tamron SP AF DI, 200-500mm, f5-6.3.

I wanted a lens for wildlife and after reading MANY reviews I determined this lens was slow focus, and sharpest greater than f7.1 and less than 450mm. I said "I can live with that" not having to shell out wads of money for the thing. It needs lots light so it will work as a daylight wildlife lens.

I shot these test photos to give as an example.

#1 This is what I was looking at and shot with a 50mm.
3967100812_f969fb11ec_o.jpg

#2 Shot at 500mm where focus is soft. (Also, dust on lens) On the full size image you can read "Mad Canyon Ranch"
3967100950_94fb2d2d2b_o.jpg

#3 Some not so wildlife shot at 500mm.
3967100434_b15719b9b3_o.jpg

The bottom line is:
1. This lens suits my needs as an amateur photographer.
2. I am not giving up my pro or prime lenses. They ARE better lenses.
3. I am not going to spend G's to go shoot birds.

. (Also, dust on lens) .

Thanks for this look. It is a good reminder to weigh use vs. investment. FYI, I believe those spots are dust on your sensor-filter and not on the lens.

Thanks for the info. I think KmH said it best, but it's not bad for anyone that doesn't have 6 grand + to drop on a "professional" lens. I am assuming you were using a tripod for these shots?

I am seeing questions about lenses and zooms and the advise seems to lead in the same direction, that being "you have to spend lots of money". Nobody is giving bad advise its just that I would not want to see beginners get scared away because of money.

Just as an example I am going to review a cheap zoom and share my test photos. The lens is a Tamron SP AF DI, 200-500mm, f5-6.3.

But when some one comes in and says that they want good shots of their kid performing in a theatre, are you going to offer up a lens that's widest aperture is f/5 and have that parent angry because the gear isn't good enough to get the shot, or are you going to tell them what they really should be buying so that you're not wasting their money?

VI - No, I would not recommend this lens for that situation. But I would recommend to a beginner the Sigma, 70-200mm, f2.8 in-leu-of the Nikon 70-200, f2.8, VR. The Sigma is a quality low light lens that can be bought new for $799.00 vs. $1,900.00 for the Nikon.

Yes, you have to use a good tripod for the Tamron. I use a Manfrotto, 055XPROB.

...and, the dust was on the lens. I cleaned it and took this shot last night.

Craig

3969077312_4f5eafdd0c_o.jpg

Most reactions

Back