Questions.... questions....

molested_cow

TPF Supporters
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Website
img24.photobucket.com
First is regarding light meter. I noticed that with different camera body the ecposure may come out different, and the contrast is the greatest when comparing a traditional camera to a digital. So is this true?

Then it leads to another question. Technically speaking all manual SLRs does the same thing. Some may have more electronics than the others. Some may have crispier sound. Some may have wider range of shutter speed. So what the big difference? There are so many models, from the past and present. If I were to shop for a traditional SLR camera regardless if it's going to be brand new or used, how can I make my decision without being able to take photos with them and test it?

Then it leads to another question. Technically speaking all manual SLRs does the same thing. Some may have more electronics than the others. Some may have crispier sound. Some may have wider range of shutter speed. So what the big difference? There are so many models, from the past and present. If I were to shop for a traditional SLR camera regardless if it's going to be brand new or used, how can I make my decision without being able to take photos with them and test it?

The camera is only a part of the entire camera system and should not have a significant impact on the results of the photo once the camera system has been tested. Look for a camera body that suites your needs in terms of functionality. Is the view finder large and bright enough for what you need, does the camera have spot, matrix, center weighted or any other metering modes you desire, etc.... You shouldnt need to concern your self with the the results of an exposure so much at this point.

First is regarding light meter. I noticed that with different camera body the ecposure may come out different, and the contrast is the greatest when comparing a traditional camera to a digital. So is this true?

Differnet cameras meter light differently and different films behave differently. Once you have the camera body of your choice and a good normal lens(50mm) you should perform a film test for each type of film you plan on using in the camera. This will allow you to compensate for the cameras metering system, film and your personal preferences in contrast and saturation.

molested_cow said:

I decided on my camera after reading many many reviews at www.dpreview.com.

The camera I picked had the best color rendering.

I agree with Slowboat. It's not a camera that makes a photo. It's you.

I once read a painting analogy to photography.

The camera is like the easle...it's just there to hold the canvas. The film is the canvas (or other medium). The lens is the brush and of course light is the paint.

The camera body matters very little compared to the lens, film and medium.

1st off part of the appearance of difference in exposures is that when you take your film in the processor adjusts the finished product based on what the computer tells it should be. Your print might not truly reflect what is on the negative.
As far as slr's are concerned, as mentioned you have to look at how they fit in the whole system of accesories. Also consider how well they are built. A Canon AE1 may be a decent camera but it's not going to take the abuse or last as long as an F1. A Rebel is not built as strong as an A2 or an EOS1.

I had a photography instructor that taught us there are 5 elements to a camera system and that without doing a film test you can never meaure the effectiveness or performance of any specific element.

1. Camera
2. Lens
3. Film
4. Processing Lab
5. Yourself <<Most Important>>

I would also recommend using slide film, most labs will not monkey with it and try to correct exposure as they tend to do with color negatives.

Most reactions

Back