Quick copyright question.

mjda

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
If I take a picture of someone else's property, and didn't get their permission, do I still own the copyright of the picture since it was taken with my camera? Or do I owe them some sort of compensation? I understand that I cannot illegally trespass to take the photo, but if I'm on a public street and take the photo from there, and someone else owns the actual property in the photograph, who owns the photo?

you do

tell us the story, it sounds great allready.
Also check the air your breathing in that location.....just incase....they may have an objection..:confused:

Haha! There's no story to go with this. I've been just taking photos around my own house, and houses/properties of my family, but I'm from north Texas where there are tons of beautiful landscape photos I could take. I wanted to make sure it was ok for me to take these photos and print them for my own use without being in trouble. Lots of old western looking houses in the middle of nowhere about to fall down. I'd like to get some rustic pictures of those before they're gone.

If I take a picture of someone else's property, and didn't get their permission, do I still own the copyright of the picture since it was taken with my camera? Or do I owe them some sort of compensation? I understand that I cannot illegally trespass to take the photo, but if I'm on a public street and take the photo from there, and someone else owns the actual property in the photograph, who owns the photo?

You own the copyright. Photos are copyrightable. Property is not. To correct misconceptions about tresspassing. You are not forbidden from taking photos or using them as you see fit, even though you are tresspassing. Moreover you can only be charged with tresspassing, if you ignored a sign, climbed a large fence for example, or refused to leave when told to, by an owner or his/her representative.

skieur

Most reactions

Back