Quick D5000 and 50mm autofocus question

Discussion in 'Photography Beginners' Forum' started by Nikon_Dude, Dec 19, 2009.

1. Nikon_Dude

Nikon_Dude TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    I have a Nikon d5000 and want to pick up the 50mm f/1.8D AF lens but I'd like to know if it will autofocus with my camera. According to Nikon's website it says "autofocus: yes" under the lens and my camera says it is compatible with D type lenses, just that if it doesn't have built in autofocus then my camera cannot autofocus with that lens.

Does the "autofocus: yes" bit mean it has built in AF and will thus work with my camera?

2. clbd39

clbd39 TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    the cheap 124 dollar one will not autofocus on your camera, the 320 something dollar one will

they will all autofocus on the d70+

3. dhilberg

dhilberg TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    The 50mm f/1.8 and the 50mm f/1.4 AF-D will not AF on the D5000. You'll need the 50mm f/1.4 AF-S lens for that.

4. clbd39

clbd39 TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I believe you need a "G" lens, those are the ones with the motor inside the lens right?

5. PatrickHMS

PatrickHMS TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    "G" stands for gelded, nothing at all to do with AF.

The "baby Nikon" series of cameras DO NOT have an AF motor in the camera body, so they have to build the motor into the lens to make it AF.

Baby Nikon camera bodies are = D40, D40X, D60, D3000, and D5000.

These bodies REQUIRE AF-S lenses to AF. AF-S are the ONLY lenses which will AF on the baby Nikons, but the AF-S lenses will also AF on all other Nikon AF camera bodies (both film and digital).

ANY other Nikon AF film SLR or DSLR has AF motor in body and will AF with ANY Nikon lenses, INCLUDING the AF-S, AF, AF Nikkor, AF-D.

Think that makes snese....

6. Derrel

Derrel Mr. Rain Cloud

Photos OK to edit
    G is gelded, in that Nikon removed the aperture ring from all the G-mount lenses.

All the G-series lenses have a focusing motor in the lens, so the G-series lenses will work on the baby Nikons with full autofocusing and light metering. The G series began with the old 70-300 G and some other low-cost lenses. It has expanded now to the professional lenses, like the 200/2, 300/2.8, the 400,500,600 superteles, 200-400, 70-200 VR series, the 60mm AF-S G and 105 AF-S G macro lenses, and most recently the 35mm 1.8 AF-S G and 50mm 1.4 AF-S G lenses.

The only Nikon 50mm lens that will autofocus on the baby Nikons is the 50mm 1.4 AF-S G model.

7. Nikon_Dude

Nikon_Dude TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Crap. Knew I should have got the d90...if only I'd had the money.

How much of an inconvenience would it be to have to use only manual focus? I looking into this lens for indoor shots, probably mostly of people. Not really portraits but just pictures of people doing stuff, get togethers, etc.

Or is there another lens I should be looking at?

8. jdag

jdag TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Probably the closes and least expensive option for you would be the Nikon 35mm f/1.8 AF-S lens. It is about $200. Here's an example, but many retailers sell for same cost.

Many people consider it as good or better than the 50mm anyhow, so I doubt you'll be disappointed.

9. DScience

DScience No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Bro manual focusing is cake with that lens. The only thing you'll miss out on is moving objects...but anything still, it is actually quite fun!

10. Goontz

Goontz TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I have to agree with DScience. The only thing you'll really not be able to shoot when having to manual focus is things that are moving. As long as you have the time to set up your shot, manual focus is no problem and your camera even still has a little green light in the viewfinder that will come on when you nail the focus. If you really want AF, or plan on trying to get quick shots on moving subjects, the 35mm prime suggested above will probably be a better option.

11. Dwig

Dwig TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    At present, this is true and since Nikon seems to be phasing out the antiquated AF and AF-D lenses that require an AF motor in the body it seems likely that it will remain true for the foreseeable future. Technically, the "G" designation has nothing to do with autofocus, as stated in an earlier post. Its association with AF-S lenses is only a coincidence.

Also, the so called "baby" Nikons, their more entry level models, work with both the AF-S and AF-I lenses. Both series have internal focusing motors. The AF-I lenses were Nikon's first series of internal motor lenses. The AF-S lenses use a more advanced motor. Its not likely that Nikon will introduce any more AF-I lenses using the older style motor.

The AF and AF-D lenses lack their own motors and require bodies with their own AF motors. This was Nikon's original approach to AF and they give all indication that they are phasing it out. The more advanced bodies currently still have AF motors for compatibility with the older AF design and some of the older design lenses remain in Nikon's current catalog. All recent introductions have been AF-S as this is the better approach to AF.

12. PatrickHMS

PatrickHMS TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I didn't think that "all" G lenses have an AF motor in the lens, so I am not sure that is a totally correct statement. Thought it was just AF-S, which are also G lenses.

Here is a "G" lens that does not have AF motor in lens. Am just using KR's link because of the good photo of the llens.

Nikon 28-80mm f/3.3-5.6G

Definitely a G lens, definitely no AF motor in lens. Unless I am mistaken.