quick tip for shoot tonight?

guitarkid

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.roxystudios.net
i have this "wedding" shoot tonight at a bar / club. the couple got married in hawaii on their own and are just throwing a party tonight. i was hired for 4 hours to get "laid back casual shots." no backdrop needed, etc. about 200 guests mingling and walking around in a bar.

sounds like a great photojournalistic opportunity BUT how many still lifes of bottles can you do? no wedding dress, no cake, no dancing, no DJ, no portraits, just mingling. for now i plan on getting guests as they arrive and going up to them one by one...couples, etc. and just shooting away. hope it's not too crowded. i don't really like the intrusion type of shooting during mingling.

any thoughts? thanks,
steve

use a short telephoto (depending on how big the place is) and 'spy on' people having conversations from a fair distance. catch them in good expressions when you can. sometimes it helps if you hide most of your body behind another guest :)

that is what i did.....spied on people....used the sniper approach, which makes it fun. the only issue is i got tired of seeing the profiles of people talking, or the backs of heads as they talked to someone else. it was really very crowded and made it very difficult. i stood on benches and chairs half the time sniping people out. most people were cool when i said, can i get a photo of you guys? as i handed them a card to check the prints online in a few days. other people were rude saying NO, MAYBE LATER. another guy said something and turned away and continued talking to his friends. his friends were still looking at me so i asked, did you want a photo i didn't understand you. he said i thought you were asking if i wanted a drink and i told you yes i will have one. yeah, with this large camera, i'm asking you if you wanted a drink. he said i could get him a drink if i wanted but no photo. THAT #$!*&! ME OFF. i'm not your slave. i'm hired to take photos don't insult me. i told him i'm not paid for that and i'm on the clock so i won't be handling his alcohol. that is why i hate approaching people in situations like that when they are just mingling. it made it rough since it was just 4 hours of mingling.

once the band started playing that was a relief...then there were cool dance floor shots to get.

well i'm off to start on these photos. maybe i will post them for your thoughts. i think they could be better but i think they turned out alright. i have to decide now what to keep and what to get rid of....maybe i will just give them all the shots.

steve

I look forward to seeint them! I'm glad there was some dancing to liven it up a bit :)

here they are. the Johannah and Anthony Reception party. there wasn't that much to shoot. i'm not too happy with these pics. the ceilings were SO HIGH that bounce flash never really worked. it was so crowded that you had to be right on top of the person in front of you; blinding them with the flash. i'm just stressed out over this one. just let me know your thoughts. i'm usually very happy with the stuff i do but this one i'm not. i'm bummed right now.

click on this link......it's the Johannah and Anthony one. and feel free to check out the other stuff as well. i appreciate it.

http://proofs.sarproductions.com/

Most reactions

New Topics

Back