Random things

swmocity

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
still trying to get better...here are some pics of random thing around the house..nothing special

how in the world do i t all of the trophies at an equal focus i tried the a-dep mode...didnt work
j.jpg
k.jpg
i.jpg
h.jpg
g.jpg
f.jpg
e.jpg
d.jpg
c.jpg
b.jpg
a.jpg

to get a good idea on how focus etc is on these pics it would be easier if you make them bigger or make them clickable links,
a good size for a photo is having the longest side 800 pxl's

I dont bother with A dep mode, I just experiment with my settings, what other modes were you using?

to get a good idea on how focus etc is on these pics it would be easier if you make them bigger or make them clickable links,
a good size for a photo is having the longest side 800 pxl's

I dont bother with A dep mode, I just experiment with my settings, what other modes were you using?
i only used Adep with the trophies..i was trying to get all of them in focus but that didnt work.....all others i used manual....ill re up them with a bigger size

ufda lol, didn't expect such huge pics. is there a way that one can click on the photo and it takes them to a bigger pic of it? Asking for myself :).

lol now its to big.....what site has that feature to click and make it bigger...im using photobucket..i dont think they have it

flickr.

Also you in order to be able to get all of the trophies in focus you need to use a smaller aperture. When I use my dSLR I spend most of my time in a-priority because it gives me the most control over DOF with out having to think to much about anything else. This would have also help out on the hat.

Go to aperture priority mode and set the f-stop to f/22. Zoom out as far as you can. Then move as far away from the trophies as you can. Use a tripod or a flash if the picture gets blurry. There you go!

As DYLJ puts it, use a higher number for your aperture (smaller hole, smaller aperture). Counter intuitive I presume. The higher the number, the more in focus the whole frame is. The lower it is, the out of focus everything will be outside of what you set your camera to focus on. However that being said, when you alter your aperture, you have to alter the shutter speed. With the higher aperture (smaller hole) you have to use a longer shutter speed. Which as mentioned is why a tripod would be needed to handle a longer exposure.

Now, go outside and take pictures, don't stick to the inside.

f/22 is probably overkill. You should stop down a bit, but mainly your DOF is very shallow because you are quite close to the subject. As you move back further, you DOF will increase. Try f/8 and standing 6-8 feet away.

Also notice how shallow your DOF is on the hat, The front of the bill, and the top right where it meets the front are both blurry. You DOF is about 2 inches in this photo. This can be very useful in some cases for isolating a subject, its just a matter of learning to make it happen when you want it. Same goes for the flowers. The flowers are a bit overexposed, you should dial down you Flash. I think it is under FEC, or Flash exposure compensation in your manual.

A good exercise would be to arrange a bunch of objects on a table each one several inches back from the next, and staggered so you can see them all at one, use maybe 4 action figures or blocks(it helps if you have kids toys!) then use a tripod, or at least stand or sit in the same spot about 5 feet away, start by focusing on the front object, and take shots at say f/2, 2.8, 4, 5.6, and 8, then move back to about 10, or 15 feet away, and repeat the process. Then compare all of the shots on you computer. This will give you a good feel for DOF in relation to the distance between you and the subject.

Also do a google search for "understanding Depth of field" or "Apurture and depth of field"

Now that I just reread my post, maybe focus on the middle object because your dof will expand both in front of and behind your point of focus.

Now that I just reread my post, maybe focus on the middle object because your dof will expand both in front of and behind your point of focus.
ahhhhh..yea thats a good idea..im going to try that

Yeah, your aperture is at 3.2, bump that to about f8 atleast. That should get everthing in the field.

Keep messing with the aperture till its what you want.

unfortunately im not too crazy about these shots, did you use your 50mm on all of them? I just bought the 50mm second hand a couple of weeks ago
yea i did...should i have used the 18-55

Most reactions

Back