RAW image to Jpeg, HDR?

Naicidrac

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hello everyone,
I am starting to experiment with RAW images using HDR in photoshop. I was wondering what happens to the image? First I start with RAW then merge to HDR, then I can save as a 16 bit Jpeg. I am going to try to do some tone mapping too. Now I am a newbie so sorry for the basic questions. I am just wondering how the image is compressed after all of this? So once I convert it to a 16 bit Jpeg that is what it will be from now on? Also if I want to print what resolution do I save the Jpeg as, and if I want to post it in the gallery, how do I compress it and at what size should it be. Thanks for all the help with my basic questions.

What are you using to convert the RAW files? Adobe Camera Raw (the built-in Photoshop converter) or something else?

As I understand it...you can save your image is any of several formats. If you save as JPEG, then there will be some compression. So if you are concerned about keeping the best quality...then save the file with a lossless format like TIFF or PSD.

If you do convert or save the file as a JPEG, you can always convert it to something else.

For printing, the standard resolution is 300 pixels per inch. So for a 4x6 you need an image that is 1200x1800 pixels. For an 8x10 you would need 2400x3000.

For uploading to the web, you will want to resize the image to less than 800 pixels and then save a JPEG copy. When you save as JPEG, there will be an option to change the compression...which will greatly affect the file size. I've found that I can easily go to less than half on the slider...and still keep the quality of the image. Usually I choose something between 5-10 on the scale of 12. It depends on the image and the size of it...but I usually like to get the file size to be less than 200kb...preferabely closer to 100kb.

Most reactions

Back