No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Website
www.flickr.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
RAW lossless compressed?

Is that the default? If not, what is?
What do you all have your RAW set up as? Just curious.
Why?

RAW lossless compressed?

Is that the default? If not, what is?
What do you all have your RAW set up as? Just curious.
Why?

I currently have mine set to RAW lossless compressed 14bit. That gives me about 33mb files. I'd like to not compress, but an uncompressed file is around 70mb a file, which is too much. It's working well that way.

Jake

When did you get a d800?
where's the d700?

I am set up for RAW lossless compressed 14 bit as well. How horrible is "compressed" RAW?
I sold my D300 & D700 to fund my D800 purchase. And I borrowed on my Christmas money, ha!!!

I shoot 12-bit uncompressed because it seems to me that uncompressed files write faster than compressed, maybe due to less CPU overhead needed to apply the compression? I've shot 14-bit too, but cannot actually see any benefit to it. However if I shot a lot of night time stuff (stars,etc) I might consider using 14-bit .NEF maybe for more shadow data at the very left edge of the histo. I dunno...everything I've read from Thom Hogan seems to suggest that 14 bit is mostly theoretical in advantage, and that demonstrable benefits, let alone even merely clear benefits, is not the case.

Derrel,
Thanks for the explanation. Part of me wants to move to 12 bit also to make my memory cards hold more images... I may mess with it.

I sold my D300 & D700 to fund my D800 purchase. And I borrowed on my Christmas money, ha!!!

Congrats on the d800 !!

Just don't listen to Jake. He'd have you buy all new trinity lenses and have you give me all of your current lenses.

on second thought, that sounds like a good plan.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back