Reading between the lines around here

anyway, if you give critique, be prepared not everyone might share your view. That is totally normal since some things are just a question of taste or priorities.

nevertheless every opinion counts!

As a new photographer, I expect that most of my photos could probably be better executed. And I post them (well only once so far, but I plan to post photos about once a week) because I want criticism. Since I'm obsessed with photography I'm not looking for encouragement.

But I see far more positive than negative criticism in the galleries.

On my next attempt to post pictures I'm going to post 5 pictures again, but post more information about the creation of the picture and specifically ask for criticism. Lets see if that works better.

cheers,
david

I was raised to not criticize someone unless you think you can do what they're doing better. That being said, I really CAN'T critique your photos. I mean, I know squat about composition (as certain people have pointed out to me), so it would be possibly counterproductive for me to say something. My guess is your work is really good. You're probably overreacting, which can be good... at least you'll never become complacent with your work.

I personally can't take criticism well at all. My skin is as thin as a wet paper bag.

I don't think wanting C&C makes you insecure. I want it because I want to learn. I know I'm not the best photographer by far but I want to continually improve. My work has grown by leaps and bounds just by posting here. And I've only been a member since March. I value that knowledge so I value the C&C.

I don't think wanting C&C makes you insecure. I want it because I want to learn. I know I'm not the best photographer by far but I want to continually improve. My work has grown by leaps and bounds just by posting here. And I've only been a member since March. I value that knowledge so I value the C&C.

I agree.. though I freely admit I;m insecure about my work at times. Seems people either love my work or hate it, so that contrast makes me insecure.

But in any case, I think seein 100 views and not 1 reply can make anyone feel insecure.

I agree.. though I freely admit I;m insecure about my work at times. Seems people either love my work or hate it, so that contrast makes me insecure.

But in any case, I think seein 100 views and not 1 reply can make anyone feel insecure.

How many pics do you post at any given time?

My experience is that when it is on one certain topic, a post can carry as many as 8, but hardly any more.

For thorough critique, and not sharing and hoping someone might pass a comment, 1 photo is the maximum.

For C&C, i.e. the mixture of comments and critique, there shouldn't be many more than 5 in one thread.

That is only my opinion.

When I come to TPF, it much depends on how much time I have and how much I feel like really typing out answers. When time's short, I rarely feel like thinking up replies, so I just browse and plan to reply later (doesn't work too well). When I have a lot of time and really feel like commenting or even critiquing some photos, I will do so. So I can go on reply-sprees - or I can remain silent (but still looking) for days. Much depends.

I know that I'm a noob, so I frequently feel underqualified to comment on the excellent work that I see posted here.

Critiquing a posted picture is almost as valuable to the critic as the photographer, especially for someone who is a beginner. Do you think the picture is good? Why? Is it the content, the color, the composition? This the opportunity to create a learning experience.

Don't undercut your comments by saying 'well, I'm just new' or something like that. A picture is not good or bad, depending on who sees it.

I was raised to not criticize someone unless you think you can do what they're doing better.

So you could never be a referee, judge anything or be a coach of any sort?
Critique is not necessarily a negative judgment; it is just a statement of what you think and why. A good critique is a statement of fact - as someone sees it. A good critique should be almost painless because it is not a judgment of the artist's ability or skill in perpetuity but only a statement about a particular work.

Seeing a picture, having a particular response to it and not saying it is, in some ways, disrespectful. You are making the judgment that the poster is not serious enough to want or adult enough to appreciate the comment.

I comment on pictures that I think are good and pictures that I think are bad. I don't comment on pictures by people I think aren't serious (or on pictures by people I just plain dislike.)

How many pics do you post at any given time?

That 100 views/0 replies thing has never happened to me, but I saw it happen to someone recently and she bumped it up after it hit 121 with 0 replies. It made me think- they weren't bad at all. Even some were great. She had posted a bunch of wedding ones, maybe 8 or so total.

Usually I only post 3 pictures max because that's how *I* feel will raise my chances of getting CC. When I see posts with 10 or more pics, I close them usually. Unless its like elsaspet's wedding photos or something fantastic.. then I will usually comment.

I have noticed that I tend to comment more when I see outstanding work. I feel more enthusiastic to say great job, those are excellent or so on.

I also will comment more if there are one or two pics that I know I can positively critique.

The ones I don't comment on are the straight up average or not sensational. Like not anything technically or compositionally wrong.. but nothing spectacular either.

However, I did just post 1 picture recently and its got 9 or so replies now, but 4 of them are me commenting also. But it has 179 views! I think I am trying to learn to take that with a grain of salt.

That 100 views/0 replies thing has never happened to me, but I saw it happen to someone recently and she bumped it up after it hit 121 with 0 replies. It made me think- they weren't bad at all. Even some were great. She had posted a bunch of wedding ones, maybe 8 or so total.

Usually I only post 3 pictures max because that's how *I* feel will raise my chances of getting CC. When I see posts with 10 or more pics, I close them usually. Unless its like elsaspet's wedding photos or something fantastic.. then I will usually comment.

I have noticed that I tend to comment more when I see outstanding work. I feel more enthusiastic to say great job, those are excellent or so on.

I also will comment more if there are one or two pics that I know I can positively critique.

The ones I don't comment on are the straight up average or not sensational. Like not anything technically or compositionally wrong.. but nothing spectacular either.

However, I did just post 1 picture recently and its got 9 or so replies now, but 4 of them are me commenting also. But it has 179 views! I think I am trying to learn to take that with a grain of salt.
I always appreciate your critiques. You always give me good ideas and things to really think about in my work.

don't feel bad if you have to bump.

many people do not dare to comment, and if the usual suspects who tend to give critique are not around at the moment, then there will be hardly any comment.

Also keep in mind that one person can cause more than one view, easily.

You must never forget that it is not only members who come and view your photos, it is also guests. Their viewing counts. But they cannot reply. So those views must be taken into account as well.

The best way to get a response is not to post a lot of pictures (that turns me off), but to post a single picture and ask a question about it in the text. Sometimes it is difficult to know where to start on a c/c. Having a question to respond to makes it much easier.
Not 'what do you think of this' or 'how do you like my dog' but something more specific about the picture itself.

For what it is worth, anytime you post a single picture that you want c/c on - and don't get it, feel free to PM me and I'll say something.

Who would "the usual suspects" be, Alex???

Most reactions

New Topics

Back