Recommend a camera please

howard.allum

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I'm looking for a DSLR that will:
a) Allow me to swap lenses.
b) Have a 'bulb' feature i.e. will allow me to keep shutter open for as much time as I want.
I'm keen to try some 'star trail' shots as I live in an area that lends itself very well to this idea but my own camera(s) don't allow the control I'm looking for.
A Canon of some sort would be good because I like the lenses, but I'm open to suggestions.
I'm also not looking to spend too much on this camera as my others cope very well with all my needs so far.
Thanks, I look forward to all the suggestions...

I'm also not looking to spend too much on this camera as my others cope very well with all my needs so far
What's your budget?

DSLRs range from not too expensive to, well, um, a lot.

Outside of star trails, what are you going to use it for?

Not enough information.

All system cameras(*) offer bulb, thats kind of a standard feature. Though almost all digital cameras will limit it to one hour maximum. Thats because unlike film, the digital image deterioates over time, i.e. noise is constantly added to the image until its finally read. Thats also why for astrophotography, cooled sensors are popular; this reduces said noise over time. Large million dollar telescopes will actually cool their sensors near absolute zero exactly for that reason.

(*) "System cameras "are those with interchangeable lenses; the other kind with a single fixed lens is called "compact cameras".

A Canon of some sort would be good because I like the lenses,
Why ? Which lenses ?

Nikon D7200 offering superior sensors and top notch auto focus system and features.
Also a huge selection of lenses.

It is an interchangeable lens camera
It covers the OP a + b conditions and doesn't cost too much

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

MFT sensor size is not good for astro-photography...
I would go for a Nikon, for the good performance on high ISOs (You need it for the night skies).

Nikon D7100 or 7200 would be a nice fit (Nikon might be dropping down the price on the D7200, since the new D7500 just came out).
After that you will need a good, wide and bright lens.

Cheers

Don't forget a Mirror UP feature (for Nikon) that flips the mirror up out of the way, then you can wait for any movement from the shutter to dissappate, then take the image. This is d7x00 and higher. The lower models allow you to pause for 3 seconds which in some cases is not enough to eliminate all body shudder from the mirror up.

Canon has a similiar feature and an electronic shutter which makes it easier. I think most models have that but do your research on it.
... or not ...

I agree, a Canon DSLR such as the 750D, 77D, etc. would work fine but also look at the mirrorless camera options from Sony, Fuji, Canon, Olympus, etc. They are smaller and lighter but also can use the DSLR lens
www.flickr.com/photos/mmirrorless

I'm looking for a DSLR that will:
a) Allow me to swap lenses.
b) Have a 'bulb' feature i.e. will allow me to keep shutter open for as much time as I want.
I'm keen to try some 'star trail' shots as I live in an area that lends itself very well to this idea but my own camera(s) don't allow the control I'm looking for.
A Canon of some sort would be good because I like the lenses, but I'm open to suggestions.
I'm also not looking to spend too much on this camera as my others cope very well with all my needs so far.
Thanks, I look forward to all the suggestions...
I would recommend you the one that I am using
1) Canon EOS
2) Nikon Coolpix
All of my Requirements are fulfilled perfectly!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back