Reflectors

thepixies

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I was talking to a photographer. and he said the best thing you can do, to make outdoor portraits looks better. is to use a reflector. true?

and thats all i heard.

now, i'm looking on ebay for one (there is none i can buy locally) and there is different sorts. 5 in 1. gold/silver da da da

but i dont know if i'm getting ripped off. or how to tell i good one from a bad one.

also. i would like to read more on using a reflector. diagrams or videos would be nice. but anything really.

thankyou for your help
also, do you use a reflector. for weddings? what kind of things do you use it for?

Although I haven't used them for a long time, they are a cheap and good way of giving you fill light. I posted a link for what I used to use. The gold gives you that warming effect on people, or just turn it around for white.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/con...793&is=REG&addedTroughType=categoryNavigation

Alot of portrait books have diagrams on using the reflectors. One book I like is Portrait Photographers Handbook by Bill Hurter.

You can make simple reflectors by taping kitchen aluminum foil to poster board. Crinkled and then smoothed foil is different from smooth foil straight from the roll. Taping clear colored plastic gift-wrap sheet over it, or over a part of it, can change the color effect.

I use a large sheet of white foam core. I prefer the softer light of white over foil, but each has it's place. If you put foil on one side, like Torus said, you have that option. I used several twist-ties to mount one of my tripod's quick-releases to the center of the foam core to make it easy to position. A white bedding sheet can also be useful and folds up to be rather compact. I carry with me a white translucent shower curtain. It can be used as either a reflector or a diffuser. The rings make it easy to hang from my light stands (I rarely use my lights). If you get some of those squeeze-grippy things, you can clip the shower curtain to a window's curtain rail. If direct sunlight is blasting in, it acts like a giant softbox. Anything that lets light through isn't going to be as good of a reflector, but being large helps a lot.

thepixies said:
I was talking to a photographer. and he said the best thing you can do, to make outdoor portraits looks better. is to use a reflector. true?

Not entirely true… Up until 2004, the best thing one could do for excellent portraits would have been hiring Richard Avedon to make the photograph.

Since Mr. Avedon is no longer with us, the wise use of a reflector is our next best option for producing good indoor and outdoor portraits on our own.

Should you decide to purchase a collapsible reflector, I suggest that you be very wary of the cheapo versions for sale on Ebay. Many of the ‘bargain brand’ Ebay “specials” do not unfold perfectly flat, making them essentially useless for any real photographic use. Stick with a name brand such as Impact or Photoflex.

Generally pretty good advice given in the previous posts. Basically you are filling the subject with relected light as against using a flash fill-in. There are like anything you use, advantages and disadvantages. Advantage being that you can see what you are doing as against flash you can't, and you are using a lot bigger light source than a normal flash. The disadvantages are setting up the reflector [helpful to have an assistant if you are moving locations] and what is not commonly noticed is the eyes. A reflector is bouncing sunlight [generally] into the eyes and accordingly the pupil will become smaller, and it may make the subject squint. Not always a problem, but can be in a close up of the head. Silver or Gold reflectors are the worst for this, use a white board or similar. Trust this helps.

i got one off ebay for 99p and it was fine. Bargain!

I've purchased acouple 5 in 1 reflectors on ebay from amvona. And I was very pleased when the first one arrived to find it very well built. I then ordered more. The prices were amazing!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back