Refurb D80

tbadhesha

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hey guys I've seen a Nikon D80 body refurbished from a reputable retailer.
It's going for $770.
What is your opinion on refurb models and is it worth the risk or buy new?

thanks

Tag

I think as long as they are from a reputable dealer who wont rip you off and its rated ie you know what your getting then its fine, just make sure its from someone reputable, also the d80 new is only 870, might want to take that into consideration.

I always wondered where those "refurbished" bodies come from. Not sure I buy the "salesman's sample" line some retailers use. If you've ever been to a place like BestBuy or Costco and seen camera bodies chained to some display - WITHOUT any lens mounted (the sensor open to whatever is in the air and who knows what kind of abuse)...... not sure I'd want THAT body - even if Nikon service cleaned it up.

I suspect many problem returns end up getting resold this way. I had a new D200 acting odd from day 1 - and the retailer exchanged it without any issues......but what happened to the one I sent back? Don't know.

Personally, I'm not sure the nominal cost savings are worth the potential risk. Most refurbished bodies only come with a 90 day warranty - I don't know if youy can get a longer Mack one (or if you can, if the additional cost offsets the savings).

If there's not much of a difference...... I'd go with new - esp since D80 prices seem to be dropping.....

One other option - some local camera shops take equipment on consignment and have good equipment at reasonable prices, often stuff they originally sold. A little less risk than buying used blind.

The OEMs take the product they get back for whatever reason and then contract someone to run a diagnostic on them and then bring them back to whatever spec has been agreed upon between the contractor and the OEM. This is usually like new mechanically and somewhere around EX cosmetically.

What it comes down to is that you get a product that is in great shape with a few scratches for a discount.

These are not always perfect. However, you get a dud now and again when buying new also.

Thanks guys for your input.
I think I'll buy new if only a little more costly with lens.

When purchasing a "Refurbished" product, I follow a 25% rule. If the discount is less than 25% off the price of a new product, I pass. Because lets face it, your buying USED.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back