Refurbished?

Mooseontheloose

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Well I finally have enough saved up to get a d80 and with a lack of camera's going up on here, I've mostly been looking around ebay. I was wondering what anyone knows about buying refurbished bodies like this one: NIKON D80 10.2MP DSLR DIGITAL SLR CAMERA BODY BLACK - eBay (item 120519260883 end time Jan-27-10 09:11:34 PST)

What exactly do they do when they refurbish the camera? If it was in poor condition, is it still likely to have problems later after being refurbished? Would you recommend I just get a good condition used one instead? Thanks.

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Well refurbished alot of times are items that died under warranty and have been reworked. Could have been something as minor as a bad switch to bad boards or circuts. I see it has pretty much the same 90day warranty as other places. I have bought refurbished stereos DVD players before and not had much problem with them. Never tried a Dslr though.

Well I finally have enough saved up to get a d80 and with a lack of camera's going up on here, I've mostly been looking around ebay. I was wondering what anyone knows about buying refurbished bodies like this one: NIKON D80 10.2MP DSLR DIGITAL SLR CAMERA BODY BLACK - eBay (item 120519260883 end time Jan-27-10 09:11:34 PST)

What exactly do they do when they refurbish the camera? If it was in poor condition, is it still likely to have problems later after being refurbished? Would you recommend I just get a good condition used one instead? Thanks.
You get no warranty, nor return policy when you buy used.

At least with most refurbished gear you get a short term warranty.

I'm not familiar with that seller but with almost 99.2% positive on almost 50,000 feedbacks I'd say they are reputable.

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Refurbished from eBay most likely means nothing more than "used" and placed back in the box. It might mean some 3rd party company "refurbished" it, meaning they cleaned it and put it back in the box. It will likely be a trade in or defective camera that the factory didn't service.

If you get "factory refurbished" then that means a demo model or one that was pulled from the production line for some reason (QC perhaps) and was inspected by factory service technicians, made like new (no marks or dings) and placed in a factory refurb box then sold to a reputable company like Adorama or B&H.

If you buy a refurb from Adorama they are now giving you a 1 year warranty. I have purchased a factory refurb from Adorama before and it was SPOTLESS. I would without hesitation buy another one from them.

I wouldn't buy a "refurbished" camera from eBay.

Refurbished from eBay most likely means nothing more than "used" and placed back in the box. It might mean some 3rd party company "refurbished" it, meaning they cleaned it and put it back in the box. It will likely be a trade in or defective camera that the factory didn't service.

If you get "factory refurbished" then that means a demo model or one that was pulled from the production line for some reason (QC perhaps) and was inspected by factory service technicians, made like new (no marks or dings) and placed in a factory refurb box then sold to a reputable company like Adorama or B&H.

If you buy a refurb from Adorama they are now giving you a 1 year warranty. I have purchased a factory refurb from Adorama before and it was SPOTLESS. I would without hesitation buy another one from them.

I wouldn't buy a "refurbished" camera from eBay.

+1. I've had zero problems with my refurbished T1i from Adorama. Looks and acts like new.

In my mind, the camera is just plain flat out used and not refurbished unless the work was done by the manufacturer with a warranty to back their work.

I too wouldn't pay any premium for "refurbished" "certified pre-own" anything from ebay...

I have 3 refurbished cameras and all work well and looked as new. The problem I see with that auction is that camera is not a Nikon refurbished item! It includes only the Body only, nothing else! A Nikon refurbished includes everything a new one would come with. Also says no serial number?? Even Nikon refurbished come with the original serial numbers that the camera were manufactured with. A missing serial number Nikon would not work on it, only outside repair facilities!!

All 3 of my refurbs came from Cameta on ebay. All were from Nikon, in Nikon grey refurb boxes with all included items.

I wouldn't shy away from a refurb, but I would shy away from that particular auction, and probably seller. I tend to buy a new body and a refurb body of same model for a spare body. So, far you cannot tell a difference between the two performance or visually wise.

Alright thanks a lot guys, If I end up getting a refurb I'll make sure its Nikon refurbished and not done by a sketch third party.

Cool please let us know what you decide
N.gif

I ended up ordering a used one with only 1000 clicks on it yesterday. Hopefully it will turn up as described:thumbup:

Most reactions

Back