Remote Flash Triggers?

newb

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
So I've been lookin at strobist equipment, and one thing that keeps poppin up is remote triggers. My question is, if I go with an SB-600 would I still need these triggers? The SB-600 description says it can be triggered wirelessly or in the hot shoe, so wouldn't that eliminate the need for the triggers?

BTW, this is all for my D5000.

Thanks!

It is my understanding that the seperate wireless triggers will give you a much greater reach, as in you can trigger wirelessly from farther distances. Whether this matters to you or not will depend on your intended use.

The other thing you might want to check out is if the D5000 has the ability to trigger the SB-600 wirelessly. I don't know which models do and do not have the transmitter built in, but I'm sure there's at least a few people on here that do.

I don't believe the d5000 has CLS capabilities so you would need some sort of trigger i believe if the camera isn't on your hot shoe.
TJ

Looked into it (almost 9:00... killing time haha) Per DPReview you would need 2 flashes for it to work on the D5000 - one in the hotshoe to use as the commander and a second for the off camera flash.

According to the users manual, I can use the built in flash to trigger a 2 (I think that's what it was) remote flash groups. Nikon brand that is. But with an SB-600 or 900 I can trigger 4 groups.

The D5000 is CLS capable but it does not have commander mode. So you cannot use the pop-up flash to control off-camera flashes. You have a few options:

Use a speedlight with commander capability(SB-800 or 900) on the hotshoe of the camera to control the off-camera speedlight(this is pretty expensive way to do this). You also retain CLS control.

Use an SB-600, 800 or 900 off camera, all of which have SU-4 mode which is a slave mode where it will fire when it sees another flash(the camera's pop-up), you will have no CLS capability.

Put an SU-800(a wireless infared commander) on your hotshoe. Little cheaper than using another speedlight for a flash. You retain CLS.

Get wireless triggers like Cybersyncs. They're very reliable and don't cost too much, you'll have to control the flash manually though and no CLS.

I've always wanted one, I might have to get it after this thread
N.gif

And for another 40-50 bucks you can get Cybersyncs which are MUCH more reliable and much higher quality than the Cactus pieces. Just a thought.

Well the PW are significantly more than the Cybersyncs, if I remember correctly.

Funny you mention the sync cord, I've seen a couple videos done by Joe McNally where he really stretches out 3 cords hooked together. If it's good enough for him....

Well the PW are significantly more than the Cybersyncs, if I remember correctly.

Funny you mention the sync cord, I've seen a couple videos done by Joe McNally where he really stretches out 3 cords hooked together. If it's good enough for him....

160ish each. Even funnier you mention that, I was watching the new Nikon videos where McNally does the same thing. It seems extremely uncomfortable to me. He's nikon's puppet though, so you know.

Use a speedlight with commander capability(SB-800 or 900) on the hotshoe of the camera to control the off-camera speedlight(this is pretty expensive way to do this). You also retain CLS control.

Doesnt the 600 have commander mode?

Use an SB-600, 800 or 900 off camera, all of which have SU-4 mode which is a slave mode where it will fire when it sees another flash(the camera's pop-up), you will have no CLS capability.

Thats the option that was outlined in the manual. Thanks for clearing that up.

Get wireless triggers like Cybersyncs. They're very reliable and don't cost too much, you'll have to control the flash manually though and no CLS.

What about the Pixel TR-331? Its a wireless controler like the Cactus. I cant seem to find a price on it tho.

Gadget Infinity :: Digital Camera :: Flash Trigger :: Cactus Wireless Flash Trigger Set V4

Get this and you're set. Pocketwizards are overrated. Unless you're going far out for some freak shoot, of if you got money to waste, then they're justifiable. But I've had the V4's for a while now, and they go far and have never misfired.

For 40 bucks, you can't beat it.

I just saw these actually. Seem to be pretty functional, but Id like more opinions on em.

and for a couple of MORE bucks, you can get the PW, lol.

Remember, Im newb. Whats PW?

One more thing, @ fiveoboy01, why buy a Cybersyncs controller and not have CLS when I can acomplish that with the on board flash?

Most reactions

New Topics

Back