Rena + Daniel

I think you're extremely talented..all your captures are dead on - you capture REAL & BEAUTIFUL moments...which is what being a photographer is about..but I have to agree slightly with Alpha...I feel like some of them are over-processed.

I think to really focus on a couple shots and kind of take them into interesting & new territories with post-processing to make them EXTRA special is OK..but not if the whole collection is like that. This is just my 2 cents...

Controversial is a positive thing for art and like someone else mentioned in this threat, you may be known for your techniques..

Keep up the great work!

Superb, the couple must be delighted with the results.:thumbup:

Hi Deadeye. I'm running everything through NoiseWare at half of the default settings. Hope that helps.

[Ignorant]What does this do? :blushing:[/ignorant]

I'm gonna go out on a limb here and disagree.

The shots themselves are fantastic. Composition and exposure are absolutely spot-on.

But the skin retouching is entirely over-zealous- like too much plastic surgery. Blemish removal and moderate smoothing are one thing, but I feel this crosses the line into thoroughly unnatural territory. While it may very well be the case that your clients are satisfied with this look, or perhaps even that you're locally known for it, I think the truth is that you probably have a little ways to go in terms of refining your technique. And the reason I say that, is that if you're pitching a retouch that aims to make your client look like they belong in a magazine, then you ought to retouch as if were for publication, in which case such blunt technique would not be satisfactory.

Hi Alpha,
While I appreciate your opinion, I AM known for this kind of work. As far as publishing, I've been published on several occassions. The same techniques used here, were used in the upcoming book "Spectacular Weddings" which will be available in Barnes and Nobels bookstores in a few months. (I am mearly one of several photographers in the book).
Besides the noiseware on all the photos, there was no additional skin work done. When I'm processing 1000 photos in a week, there is simply no time for that, however when I have more time....bridals and engagements, the retouching can get extensive if need be.
My work has always been viewed as "more fantasy than reality" by some photographers. And that's ok too. It's not everyone's cup of tea.
But it's also something that makes me different than other photographers in my area. So far, it's worked out just spanky. :D

what iso were these shot at and how did you light them? and i love your skin retouching, have you ever wrote a tutorial on how to achieve similar results?

:) im in awe and i have a reception to shoot coming up. Never done anything like this before

Hi Stranger,

While some of the ISO is lower (in get ready shots), most of the shots were at 1600 ISO I believe.
As far as lighting, the ceremony itself is no flash from the back of the church.
The rest is done with the flash at full power, shooting BACKWARDS. It's a very weird thing, I know. But I love ambient light, and even bouncing the flash is too much flash for my weird tastes. :lol: Just the kooky way I shoot.
As far as tutorials, I plan to offer video tutorials on my blog soon. I'll let you guys know as soon as I get the time to get them up and running.

I've been trying to figure out how you shoot it directly backwards? Does it bounce behind you then? If so, on what? Do you take a white board with you? Does it work better in smaller spaces?

Do you mind me asking what camera you shoot with? It handles ISO 1600 beautifully! Unfortunately for me I still have a "baby" camera and even if I nail exposure I have some noise even at ISO 400!

Anelle

Hi Anelle,
No problem.
I use Canon 5D cameras exclusively. They really are great about the noise issues. I think the lenses I use help too. My primary lens is a 35mm 1.4.

Yes, when I shoot flash, the flash head is turned completely backwards and rests on the top of my head. It's a battery eater, so you have to carry lots of batteries when you shoot this way.

Basically, I'm not bouncing at all. What I do is get very close when possible, and the light from my flash will "spill" on the people I'm photographing.

I used to think I was the lone ranger doing it this way, but have had lots of e-mail from people all over who this works for as well.

It takes practice, but it makes for pretty ambient, IMO.

Hope that helps.

As always, you have done a great job. No wonder you're always so busy. I love them all.

Andy

elsaspet,

Thanks for sharing these beautiful images! I always love your work.

FYI, have you check Kubota recently, V4 is finally here! Plus some other goodies.

elsaspet,

Thanks for sharing these beautiful images! I always love your work.

FYI, have you check Kubota recently, V4 is finally here! Plus some other goodies.

Woohoo. I just got the e-mail the other day. I haven't seen the actual actions yet, but I love the dashboard thingie. With all the actions I have, that would be a real time saver!

Cindy I love that you are always willing to each - what type of noiseware do you use? I was thinking of getting Neat Image but I don't know if there is a better one.
I really cannot WAIT to see your tutorials you plan on doing. You are the bestest!

Cindy,
Looks like you had a blast with this one. I am very impressed with your work as always. It makes me smile to see how much fun you have with your work! Thanks for sharing...and inspiring! Rena and Daniel are an extremely beautiful (handsome for him) couple. :)

Hi Alpha,
While I appreciate your opinion, I AM known for this kind of work. As far as publishing, I've been published on several occassions. The same techniques used here, were used in the upcoming book "Spectacular Weddings" which will be available in Barnes and Nobels bookstores in a few months. (I am mearly one of several photographers in the book).
Besides the noiseware on all the photos, there was no additional skin work done. When I'm processing 1000 photos in a week, there is simply no time for that, however when I have more time....bridals and engagements, the retouching can get extensive if need be.
My work has always been viewed as "more fantasy than reality" by some photographers. And that's ok too. It's not everyone's cup of tea.
But it's also something that makes me different than other photographers in my area. So far, it's worked out just spanky. :D

So your processing style, or technique, at least as presented here, consists entirely of running all of your shots through Noiseware? How many chapters do you expect that will take up? ;)

So your processing style, or technique, at least as presented here, consists entirely of running all of your shots through Noiseware? How many chapters do you expect that will take up? ;)

Thanks you guys! Hey Abby, you cut your hair! Sooooo cute!

Hi Alpha,
Actually, I retouch each photo individually, but you were discussing skin in general. I was explaining to you that on weddings, I don't have time for skin above Noise Ware at half of the default setting.

What I spend my time on, is curves/hue layers, and patching out all exit signs, light sockets, and other pesky things. I amp colors, and occassionally add a texture or two. That is a whole lot of work to do on a non batch basis, considering I'm also getting the albums done in one week as well as the normal 1800 images from RAW.

The book, "Spectacular Weddings" is not about me, or the way I process my images. It's about really killer weddings. I was contacted about a year ago by the publisher who had been going around to various websites, and the editor liked my photos. They asked me to contact a few of my brides to see if they might be interested in participating in telling their stories. They chose 8 of my brides. Naturally, they needed images to go with the stories. That's where we came in. I am not the only photographer in the book, and the same goes for the weddings. I think there were around 15 photographers total. Maybe more.

I've been fortunate to have learned a lot in these last four years of doing weddings. Most of it, tidbits here and there from other photographers about workflow, processing, lighting, and photoshop. I've taken what I've learned, patched it together, and came up with my own little quilt to make our company stand out in the very cut throat Dallas market. On the Knot alone, there are HUNDREDS of photographers advertising in my area. There are only five there, including me, charging what we are charging.

So why would these couples pay what I'm asking? When they have hundreds of people who would do the job for much less? Sometimes thousands of dollars less? It's because they like what they see. It's because they like what the don't see. It's because, in this very over crowded market, we are different.

Put it this way: (I'm a girl, so I get this.....)
Brides fantasize about their wedding day ever since they are little kids. They have seen oodles of magazines featuring beautiful brides (models in most cases) in romantic places, put out by commercial photographers.

And then they book venues with big "exit signs" over the door where she enters the church. She can't afford the $10,000 hand fitted couture gown. She gets a blemish that day/the guys are running late and they've stopped at the bar/there is mud outside the church instead of beautiful green meadows.

See where I am going here? I could say, "too bad so sad, but this is how your wedding day was, and I'm only here to document", or I could do the very best I can to make the day, and her, and her husband the fantasy they want to remember their wedding as.

Remember the photo above of the outside of the church? Here is what it actually looked like. Who wants to remember brown grass, and a lady walking through the shot?

wed_renanoise_00287before.jpg

Or would they wish to remember it this way?

ChappellWed0230.jpg

I'm not trying to convince you to like any of these shots, or even to like the processing. A lot of photographers don't like my ample use of photoshop. But then again, my mortgage isn't paid by photographers. (even though about 10 percent of my clients are professional photographers). My bills are paid by my brides and grooms. They like the fact that they are getting a bit more fantasy than reality. That is why they choose us. And that is exactly the reason that we do things the way we do them. I don't want to be like other photographers. I want to be different.

As for the upcoming videos, they will be at no charge to anyone. I'm not trying to make a buck here. I'm trying to help people out. The way I was helped out. It's one of those things you will either like and use, or don't and won't.

I will tell you though, that I've finally given in to the whole seminar thing. I never wanted to charge to teach, as I feel it is my obligation to pay back. But times, they are a changin', and I can't fly myself around here and there on my dime. We were honestly astounded that people were willing to pay for a class. Especially since I try to help on the internet for free all the time. But then again, there are travel expenses, and material expenses. I'm only telling you guys this because I'm afraid to be viewed as a money grubbing opportunist.....so if you see stuff about the seminars, that's why. We didn't invent them. We were asked to do them. At some point, you can no longer help for free.

Anyway, enough of my ramblings. I just wanted to square a few things up. Mainly about why we do the things we do. And why that it seems that sometimes we are selective about feedback. As photographers, I often agree with you guys. I do. But as business people, sometimes we have to go another route. Our motto, and our client base is that we make the fantasy come true. We're not so much about "you got what you got".

So now, I am going to insert our motto into our sig line. "Our photos will always be more fantasy than reality". It's worked for us, so we won't be changing anytime soon, even though I know that some photogs think it's over the top. No slam on you guys. I honestly respect your opinions. But as a business person, to put myself among the masses doesn't make much sense either.

Hope everyone is doing well, and we really thank you for all the wonderful feedback, both positive and not so positive. Here's hoping we all have a great 2008-09 season!

Hugs,
Cindy

Most reactions

New Topics

Back