Renting a macro lens for a Canon - which to get?

Discussion in 'Photography Equipment & Products' started by bigtwinky, Aug 4, 2009.

1. bigtwinky

bigtwinky No longer a newbie, moving up!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    I'm going to be assisting at an upcoming wedding and amongst other things, will have time for some detail shots. While I have done closeup work, I was thinking of renting a true macro lens as all I have right now is my Tamron 28-75 which is only a 1:3.9, so close up but not really macro.

The price of rental between the various focal ranges is negligable.
    50mm, 60mm, 100mm?

I understand that the shorter the focal lenght, the close you need to be, but as I am not photographing insects, that isn't a huge issue. I'm more worried about image quality and such. I hear great things about the 100mm...

I shoot an XSI, will be using a tripod, no macro / ring lighting, hotshoe flash only (430exII).

Thanks for any tips!

2. bigtwinky

Photos NOT OK to edit
    100mm 2.8 macro it is then!
    :p

3. Montana

Montana TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Might be a tad long on crop sensor. I am assuming you mean shots like the rings on flowers, etc. Get the EFS mount macro maybe. I have the 100mm macro. Its a fantastic lens, great for bugs and such on croppers, but aweful long for wedding work in my opinion.

4. Big

Big TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Ya it works great as a macro lens but when I hear people say that its good for portraits, I think they're nuts, you'd have to be 30ft away to get their body in...

5. rufus5150

rufus5150 TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I shoot portraits with a 200mm and yes, I stand a ways away. But the characteristics are different at 200mm than at 50mm, than at 100mm. The 100mm on a crop sensor is a great portrait lens. It's also a fantastic macro lens on a crop sensor.

However, if you're not going to be swapping lenses, you may wish to use a wider focal length. The 50mm is a great walk-around as well as a good macro.

6. JerryPH

JerryPH No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I use the 105mm Sigma F/2.8 macro... I *love* the results.

So, who are you 2nd shooting with, anyone that I know?

Oh, since I am moving away more and more from VOL to full time 2nd shooter, we may be looking for an assistant/helper and VOL (voice activated light stand... lol), as early as this coming Saturday.

7. bigtwinky

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Thanks for the replies, much appreciated.

Indeed, it will be for typical wedding shots such as flowers and rings. Not sure how I could work in a bug macro in their weddings shot hahaha (but it would be a fun challenge)

I do plan on swapping lenses. I will mostly have a 28-75 on my camera. The other photog has a better set of lenses (70-200 f/2.8, 16-35, 50 1.4,..) so I'll pick what he is not using haha.

Jerry, I doubt its someone you know. Its actually someone in one of my photography courses whose friend is getting married. Typical "dont have the money for a pro, know what to expect". It was between him or buying disposable cameras for each table and relying on people with P&S. My friend does very nice work, and seeing as we have worked on projects together and like shooting together, he thought it would be fun if I joined in.

I'll shoot you a PM about the rest :)