Repair or Replace??

Discussion in 'Digital Discussion & Q&A' started by GUMP, Dec 12, 2006.

1. GUMP

GUMP TPF Noob!

My daughter purchased a Sony DSC-W50 that she really enjoyed. However, she recently dropped it and the image unit (CCD?) moved inside of the lens and causes it to jam. Therefore the unit will not power up properly.

I opened up the case, but could not easily access the image unit within the lens. Any ideas? Best Buy said, $25 just to send it out for an estimate. When press for a "possible price for repair", the gent at the counter said, "$175 to $200".

I could get her a new one for that price. Any suggestions to get in the lens unit and atempt to fix it myself??

Thanks in advance.

2. Big Mike

Big Mike I am Big, I am Mike Staff Member Supporting Member

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    Just a guess on my part...but I don't think that these things are really made to be repaired...meaning that they probably don't stock spare parts for every model of point & shoot digital camera. If it's just a simple re-attachment of a part...then it could probably be repaired...but if it requires some sort of alignment...then the cost would probably be more than a new one.

Again, I'm just guessing here...but it's probably not worth the trouble. Getting a new one is probably the easy way to go.

3. Kazzely

Kazzely TPF Noob!

You could always try taking it somewhere else to get an estimate and see if that's right, but I'm not sure where you would go to do that. They have new and used Sony DSC-W50s on Amazon for $168, so if that is the true cost it would take to repair it you're probably better off getting a new one.

4. droyz2000

droyz2000 TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I would agree with the two posters above me, that it may just be better to get a new one. It has been my experience with consumer electronics such as point and shoot cameras that companies just send out a new camera instead of repairing it. It is far more cost effective for a company to do that than spend the time repairing an old one.

5. GUMP

GUMP TPF Noob!

I kind of assumed that "Just replace it" would be the general response. That is most likely what we will do.

That being said... since it is already not working, I am going to see what I can do to ATTEMPT to repair it.

Thanks for the feedback.:mrgreen:

6. The_Traveler

The_Traveler Completely Counter-dependent Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Take pix of the repair effort. They would be very enlightening to those of use who've never seen the inside of a digicam.

7. GUMP

GUMP TPF Noob!

I'll most likely do that when I finally dive into it. Just to have a record of it for future reference.