Repeating streaks on negatives

MBasile

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.matthewbasile.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I've developed quite a few rolls of film lately (getting back into film) and they all have these lines coming from the sprocket holes.

Most of the rolls have been Arista Premium 400 shot on two different bodies. I've altered my agitation techniques to make sure I wasn't being too rough. I've also extended the fixing time.

Any other ideas of what this could be? Has anyone seen this before? I find it strange that they are such a straight/strong lines.

$img006.jpg

At first it looked like bromide drag, but maybe not, the lines are too regular for it. Just to make sure: which edge of the film was position at the top in developing tank ? If you can remember. On the other hand the lines are too regular. Is the whole film like that ? Every frame ?

Bromide drag was my first thought as well.

thanks for that link. Agitation was in the running along with bromide drag, but i was thinking too little.

I plan on using that link for my darkroom folks so thanks again.

Good link Gary. Should be posted as a sticky as a read for beginners.
Over agitation. So now it will be good for OP to disclose his agitation pattern.
On the other hand I have a question: what about Jobo processors ? They use constant agitation, but I didn't notice any streaks on negs. So, what's up ?

The reason those streaks are in such straight lines is the developer is being churned through the perforations in the film...take a look...the streaks are RIGHT in line with each perforation on the side of the film. This is a pretty common developing fault. An easy way to make sure it does not happen is to use the old Bill Pierce "rolling pin" agitation method.

I've tried a few different methods for agitation. Most recently was simply inverting in a gentle motion 4 times at the start of each minute. I've progressively simplified my agitation to avoid it being too aggressive. Perhaps I should invert and twist.

It looks exactly like bromide drag.

Bromide drag happens when you don't agitate ENOUGH when using a developer that is made to be agitates. It can initiate from high density areas of the film and drip down from there (in which case it will be uneven looking), but it can also initiate from the sprocket holes, in which case it will look exactly like this.

One solution is simply to agitate a more than whatever you're doing, and thus not give the bromide enough time to drip down your image and pollute stuff. Instead it gets agitated away harmlessly into solution before it builds up enough to drip.

There's not really such a thing as "too much agitation." There are methods where you in fact constantly agitate for the entire development time (like BTZS tubes). The result of more agitation is going to be not a ruining of your photos, but instead:
* Less shadow detail / higher contrast
* Faster developing times

Another solution is to switch to a different developer. If you don't want the higher contrast that comes from more agitation, but you also don't want bromide drag, then get a developer that is designed specifically for low-agitation, long term "stand" developing or semi-stand developing. The classic example being Rodinal. Or HC-110 is a little easier to find for sale. Other options include pyro developers (like pyrocat HD), or homemade slow developers like obsidian aqua, or coffee-based caffenol developer.

The reason those streaks are in such straight lines is the developer is being churned through the perforations in the film...take a look...the streaks are RIGHT in line with each perforation on the side of the film.
I disagree. This would not lead to straight lines. If it was violently squirting through the sprockets, it might lead to uneven development, but it would be in the form of circular or very diffuse elliptical at most "halos" of differential developing, not perfect straight lines. Straight lines mean drips, not violent squirts. And drips mean bromide drag.

Combined with his statements above that he has been intentionally doing less and less agitation, the opposite (sort of) problem of bromide seems the better fit.

What developer is the OP using? I don't believe s/he has mentioned it (if it was mentioned, I missed it).

What developer is the OP using? I don't believe s/he has mentioned it (if it was mentioned, I missed it).
Dunno, but if it is bromide drag, it's not possible that he was using Rodinal, because there's no bromide in Rodinal (or AFAIK any other stand developer). Nor would surge marks make sense, because you barely agitate it.

So probably something typical like D-76 or whatnot.

[...] if it is bromide drag, it's not possible that he was using Rodinal, because there's no bromide in Rodinal [...]

That's why I wondered. ;)

Knowing which developer was used would narrow down the possible causes.

(At the least, we would know if bromide drag is even a possibility.)

Last edited:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back