retro camera lmages

Funny thing... and this might help someone else. I had to buy a new flatbed scanner my old one died. I finally bought a cannon lide25 because it was the cheapest one i could find. I figured I would use my home made backlight to scan negs.

I cut a 4x5 hole out of the center of a piece of water color 9 x 12 paper. I put it down on the scanner glass and began trying to adjust my back light. It kept burning up the negatives. Figuratively. So somewhere along the line I had the top up as I would have to use my back light. I had one thin piece of disfustion frosted plastic film over the 3x4 negative and I scanned it. It was a freak accident I tell you. The negative scanned perfectly. No back light at all. Just the illumination from the overhead light in the room.

I had to tweak it of course but it was better than any backlight I had used all day. So if you have a cannon lide at least the 25 you dont even need a back light to scan negatives. I haven't tried color yet since I'm not sure where a color neg is except in my old stuido files. Anyway thought you might be interested.

It is daylight now... I have no idea what it will do when the sun goes down and the room illumination is less. Or on a rainy day but for now it works pretty good.

paper neg from yesterday at the park
treeframe0np.jpg

The first one really messes with your mind. The really, REALLY old looking photo
of a pretty old looking building, with a 2003 Trailblazer sitting next to it.

Weird. :)

blows my mind that you know the year of the car lol..... But yes most things will be modern in an old style. If you are old enough to know about the wpa photo projects they were to shoot ordinary daily life things. By now that's how the old archived pictures look. So I'm going to try to mix modern objects with old techniques. this project keeps evolving.

mysteryscribe said:
blows my mind that you know the year of the car lol..... But yes most things will be modern in an old style. If you are old enough to know about the mpa photo projects they were to shoot ordinary daily life things. By now that's how the old archived pictures look. So I'm going to try to mix modern objects with old techniques. this project keeps evolving.

I'm a car freak. Remember that commercial with the kid lying in bed, naming
the cars driving by from the sound they are making while his friend looks out
the window to check? Yeah, that is me. :)

Kind of a party trick, or used to be. I am not as good as I once was. I used to
be able to name the make, model and year by the headlights at night. Was fun
to freak the friends out. It's harder, now that cars are becoming so generic.

3x4 film negative in the big retro camera 4.5 anastigmat kodak butchered from a 116 senior from the 30s
76f2je.jpg

I shot this on paper at the same time and it was trash. It has to do with the light source not being intense enough for paper. I am convinced of that now even more than before.

Interesting.....I wouldn't call the paper neg trash, though it lacks the DOF. But it's still an interesting print, with decent contrast and nice tones.

note to self: buy Charlie a silk flower arrangement in a nice vase. :mrgreen:

But then we could have Retro Flower Vase Day instead of potatoes.....not that I don't like potatoes.... :lol:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back