Rocketdyne F-1 Engine

I was showing the Fisher pen to one of my Russian students, years ago, and bragging about how it could write in zero gravity. He looked at me and said, "The Russians just used pencils."
No development; probably the reason they got there first.

JATO - Wikipedia

When I was in high school & college (1966 to 1973), social inept and shy guys that wore their slide rule in a holster hanging from their belt were called geeks.
Socially apt, outgoing, and devastatingly handsome guys that wore their slide rule in a holster hanging from their belts were still called geeks.

Last edited:
Yep, the Post Versa-log was my constant companion when working on the Apollo Mission Simulator while with Link- General Precision Inc. I was 32 years old at the time.

Last edited:
Nice shots.

The first stage of the Saturn V (S-1C) used 5 F-1 engines.
The Saturn V needed 2 more stages to reach earth orbit.

There is piping in the exhaust nozzle that the very cold liquid propellant was pumped through, before being burned, to keep the exhaust nozzle from melting.

Each second, a single F-1 burned 5,683 pounds of propellant - RP-1 (highly refined kerosene) and LOX (liquid oxygen). The S-1C, fully fueled at launch, had a total weight of 5,100,000 pounds. The vast majority of that weight was the propellant.
Equally amazing were the turbo-pumps used to deliver 2.5 tons of fuel per second to the engines.

The second stage (S-II) had one J-2 engine.

The 3rd stage (S-IVB-500) also had a single J-2 engine but that J-2 was re-startable. The 3rd stage engine did a 2.5 minute burn to put the spacecraft in an earth parking orbit.
It was later re-started for the trans-lunar injection (TLI) burn (about 6 minutes). Two liquid-fueled Auxiliary Propulsion System (APS) units mounted at the aft end of the S-IVB were used for attitude control during the parking orbit and the TLI burn. The two APSs were also used as ullage engines.

All designed by engineers mostly in their twenties.. I can't imagine a group of twenty somethings engineering their way out of a paper bag today...

Ok, after watching this video, I have to come back to this thread and eat my words... Watching the video I think the mean age of the folk involved must be 28...

Most reactions

New Topics

Back