Sadness of the ordinary days

bingbang

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
This is a picture in a short series made with a friend. Beyond the technical aspects (for which I am interested to get opinions), I am also interested by what come out (or does not come out may be) from the picture for you.

Attachments

• $IMG_1942.jpg
    $IMG_1942.jpg
    62.9 KB · Views: 116
I think it is a very good photo! I'm not sure if I get the impression that you wished to convey, but you get some of his personality coming through, which is good.

Thoughtful, expectant, curious. He's just done or said something, and is waiting for you to say or do something in response, perhaps. His posture is definitely expectant, not quite tense, but tending toward that. The clothes and hair suggest a scholarly person, or someone wishing to look scholarly at least. An english professor who has just made an inappropriate suggestion to a student, perhaps.

I like the image; I do get a sad/unhappy note from it, but as that was intentional, I think it works very well.

Thanks amolitor. Who knows. He is not a teacher, but it is very interesting to read the impression that people get from a picture. Thnks for your comment

Thanks tirediron, nice that you like it

The portrait works for me. What did you use to light the subject? Softbox, beauty dish, umbrella. How about a little details, thanks.

Sure. It is lighted on his left side with a 24x24 softbox equipped with a Canon 580 EXII. Behind him a bare flash is lighting the gray backgound. Everything is triggered with a pair of cactus V5. That' it. Quite simple indeed. There is a light postprocessing for the tones (that are tuned separately for the highlights and the shadows).

I like the tone and lighting. actually really like the color tone. The inward curve in his torso and hidden hands portray a bit of bashfulness to me.

The image has a nice old world portrait feeling to like some of the old masters. I do not care what he is thinking to me what matters is that you captured a wonderful image.

@BogSaget : yes, what you mention about the attitude is what stroke me too at the first glance. I had another one, but it was not so expressive.
@Mully : Thanks, I am not sure that I deserve such a compliment about the feeling of the old masters, but for sure this is encouraging.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back