Sawn-in-half lenses

I

Iron Flatline

Some sawn-in-half lenses, an article about the Technisches Museum in Berlin:

Thought you might get a kick out of this...

Blog Article here.

IMG_2584.jpg

IMG_2588.jpg

oh dear god i didnt know lenses were nearly this complicated-looking hahah

Love lenses like that, one of the best things about Nikon UK is their collection of lenses and cameras that have been cut. Also there was the F4 they had on an A0 board that had been taken apart and every little part was stuck to the board.

I have a pair of Swarovski EL Binoculars that have been cut, maybe I'll take a pic of them later

Nice!
Be interesting to see some of the dials turned on the lens so as to see the moving parts stick out of the plane.

first ones looks like the Leica Tri-Elmar

yes it is... (focusing tab and you can barely read RI-ELMAR on the lens ring)

I get mine back today (hopefully)... took a bad fall (butter-fingers!) and focusing ring became extremely stiff. Its complex enough that Leica, NJ refused to even look at it....

I like the photo of the 1930s bessa leaf-shutter mechanism..... just imagine the skill required to build such mechanical wonders.

Yes, it's the second version of the first Tri-Elmar - the 28-35-50 - which is now out of production. It's in the 35 mm position. The only current Tri-Elmar is the 16-18-21.

Best,
Helen

Its complex enough that Leica, NJ refused to even look at it....

thats nothing, Leica UK have to send most binocular repairs to Germany

Do they repair anything at Leica, UK? I've heard a lot of stuff gets sent out. Leica, NJ has been working on improving their service.

In other news... My Tri-Elmar is back in full working condition and the focus is buttery smooth once again. It took over 5 months to have it sent to Germany, reject their quote, and send it back. It took the local repair shop 1 week and 1/2 Leica, Germany's quoted price to bring it back to life. The repair guy smirked and said in his broken english "don't drop... rare, expensive, heavy lens". I laughed and said you betcha! He loved my Epson R-D1 that I brought along for a test.... spent about 15-20 mins explaining to him the wonderful digital tool we all know as the "Histogram". (there's something "grandfatherish" about him.. heheh lol)

Looking at the picture above, I can see how just one off-part by a hair can cause a world of trouble...

Most reactions

New Topics

Back