sb-600 question

just x joey

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
joeydsmith.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
if i have 2 sb-600's can i have them both mounted on tripods can i trigger them wirelessly with no extra thing? or do i need to buy sumthign else?

if i have 2 sb-600's can i have them both mounted on tripods can i trigger them wirelessly with no extra thing? or do i need to buy sumthign else?

No need to buy anything else. The D80 will handle that very well, the explanation in the manual can be a liitle confusing but just set it up and practice. You'll have it aced inside an hour.

Yes, you use the Nikon CLS to fire the two SB-600's. Put the camera in Commander
mode and you'll be all set. I know with the D200 I can control each flash independently
from each other. It is pretty awesome. I have heard that the SB800 will control up to
3 SB-600's? Not fully sure about that part, but I know it will work very well for you.

Ahh not quite. You can control unlimited number of thigns, but in a limited set of groups.

THe D80 and D200 can control multiple groups via CLS providing the flash sensor can see the D80's flash. The SB-800 or the dedicated wireless commander can control an additional group beyond what the cameras can.

Search through the manual for wireless CLS or commander mode. The SB-600s need to be set in remote mode.

Most likely you can if the on camera flash can be detected by the Sbs. If needed place a reflector above the camera to throw enough light to control the flash.

Also, you can control the ratio (lighter and darker sides) by having the Sbs at different distances from the subject.

lazy or inept?

read the manual, grab your equipment, set things up, AND DO IT YOURSELF!!!!

GAHHH!!! SOME PEOPLE JUST DRIVE ME FRIGGIN CRAZY!!!

lol i am lazy, i hate to read sorry! the reason im asking is cause im looking to purchase them. im guessing i shuld buy 2 sb600's and one sb800.

lemme try to explain what i want to do. i want to have 2 flashes set up one to the left one to the right and have them fire when i take a picture. or have one on camera, and place another to the left or right and have them fire at the same time, but have the one on the camera not be as strong as the one to the left or right. or maybe even place one behind the subject to bounce off the backdrop, and have one to the left or right. and have them fire at the same time.

I use my SB-600 off camera and move it all over the place and it still fires for me.
Maybe just play with them for a bit and see what your limitations come out to be?
You can adjust strength (hope thats the right wording) of your flash as well. You can set the different flashes to different stops (again with the wording) even the on camera flash can be adjusted...it's pretty spiffy I was playing with it the other day taking pictures of my foot. Exciting I know but it helped me under stand it better when I was done.

It is in your manuals though ;)

It depends. Your flashes need line of sight to the light emitted from the camera. Now this does not mean they need to be in front of them. Indoors the flashes will work just about everywhere even in the next room because of the way the light bounces around. But take them outside and you instantly loose your ability to trigger a flash which doesn't have direct line of sight to the camera flash.

Mind you that's not a great loss. Jump on ebay and buy yourself a set of wireless radio triggers for $30-50

yeah i think ill have to get sum pockiet wizards to do what i want. but ummm can u control the strength of the sb600 seperately? and, do u have to fire the on cameraa flash to trigger an off camera sb600?

Most reactions

Back