sb900 with D5000

Provo

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I am thinking of getting a sb900 I have the D5000 would I be able to trigger the sb900 wireless?
Or do I have to purchase something else such as a pocket wizard to trigger it? Or does the camera have a built in function to trigger it wirelessly?
Sorry but I am still new to all of this and learning one day at a time.

The D5000 cannot trigger it wirelessly without a transmitter in the hot shoe.

D90+ have the onboard Commander for the flash.

What you can do with the Sb-900 is hook it up with a sync from your camera, and then your Sb-900 can be the Commander for any other flashes you happen to obtain. Maybe some Sb-600's or something.

Maybe I should wait till I get the d3s instead then rather then to get the speedlight now and have to get a transmitter and then new lens. Well thanks for helping me out

Well since I won't be able to get another camera until late next year, I went out and purchased the sb-900 over the weekend, now if any what option would allow me to trigger both the internal flash and the sb-900 simultaneously is there a relay cable or a dongle of some sort. If I am not able to accomplish this then I will just purchase a mini pocket wizard just to trigger the sb900 from a distance. I will be using my D5000 which is a good camera same sensor as the D90 minus commander and motorized mirror :sexywink: other then that saved a few bucks. The reason I am more or less interested in the d3s is because I am new into this a friend of mine is a sports photographer in Puerto Rico and he has a d3s I have played around with it and I like it I am new to photography so I signed up for community college photography course and well I am not a lottery winner or make big bucks but I like toys.

9un6ut.jpg

Last edited:
Get an SU-800. It will let you fire the SB-900 wirelessly while retaining full TTL control for your flash(es). Plus, you will need it with a D3s anyway. The D3s doesn't have a built in flash so it won't be able to fire the SB-900 wirelessly without an add on either. Get the SU-800 and be done with it (in my opinion at least).

Most reactions

New Topics

Back