School shots

itsbudda

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
All of these done with a K1000, and a sigma 28-70 f 2.8 lens. I noticed the lens has a little habit of vignetting when zoomed out all the way. C&C welcome

Untitled-1.jpg

Untitled-2.jpg

Untitled-3.jpg

Hi,

I'm finding it hard to assess these as B&W, when they are in fact monochrome. I don't think the shade used is a good one, but that is more personal preference than anything.

Image 1 for me is the best of the 3, it has a nice alternative composition and a dark grainy feeling to it that is right up my alley. I'd probably have cropped the bottom though, it's a bit empty.

Image 2 has too much darkness on top, coupled with the bottom it's leaving a major portion of the photograph almost pure black. I'm not sure about the composition or subject either, neither is really jumping out at me.

Image 3 is too dark, as a result it's hard to see any of the detail.

I'd like to see Image 1 as a traditional B&W, I think it might work better.

Steve

It is true black and white. I used TMax 400 b&w film. A slight brownness came with the negative scans. I turned the saturation all the way down but I kinda like thae slight brown better

Hi,

Probably on my hobby horse a bit here, but if it's B&W film why would you have to do anything with the saturation? If the scanner is scanning them as B&W negative there should be no hint of colour, I can certainly scan B&W film to develop positives without any shades coming into it. But eye of the beholder and such, if you prefer them that way that's what counts.

Steve

My teacher suggested we scan the negatives in color negative mode. I wasn't really sure why but I did it anyway. I don't know. I think the color kinda adds that old picture look.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back