Second/backup camera

Maddhatter89

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I'm upgrading my bag and selling my current camera and decided to go with the Nikon D750 as my main camera. I can't decide on which camera to go with for my second.

I want to stick with a full frame Nikon, but I can't decide from there.
Any recommendations?
I do mostly portraits and weddings.

D610
or a 2nd D750

if you don't think you'll use it much then the d610 because it's a great camera and the only cheaper 24mp sensor than the d750.

You could always get a used D600 too and essentially get the d610 though with a oil splotting history. but you'll have a bunch of money for a camera that you might not use much.

I agree with astro, D600 or D610. Another option is the D700 but at half the megapixels but if your not printing posters, who cares.

I'd hate the thought of spending a bunch of money on something I wont use often, however, I'd hate to have only my 750 and not have a back up if something goes wrong, ya know?

I currently have a D3300 and I think a full frame would be better for my business, which means instead of just buying an upgrade and using my 3300 as my backup, I need to purchase a second new camera.

I agree with astro, D600 or D610. Another option is the D700 but at half the megapixels but if your not printing posters, who cares.
I don't plan on printing posters, and if, for some reason in the future I do, I think my 750 would cover that one, I'd assume.

You could always get nothing and if something happens then rent a body and/or lens temporarily.
It all depends upon how your business is affected the instant something happens to your equipment, and how much time you have to be ready to go again.

I don't plan on printing posters, and if, for some reason in the future I do, I think my 750 would cover that one, I'd assume.

I think the D700 is a wonderful camera. I know someone who owns one and the image quality is excellent once you adjust the camera settings correctly. He said out of the box it clips highlights but that is easy to adjust in the menu. He shoots RAW and is a professional forensic photographer.

The D700 is indeed an excellent camera; I still use one on a regular basis, but I would suggest buying two of the same model as it simplifies a lot of things, and will allow you to rotate them, rather than having one sit in the bag unused unless it's needed.

I looked at the D700 before I got my d600. It is a great camera but it's old 12.1 mp technology, uses a different battery system, different connectors and the button layout is like the d8x0 and d3/d4/d5. The d6x0 button layout is similar to the d750.

I have the d750 and d600 and all my accessories / batteries can go between each of them. Something you should think of for a "backup". You can keep going without having to buy new adapters/ connectors. And your spare/backup batteries, will be backup for the backups.

I moved up from the d7000 which uses the same battery, connectors, etc as the d6x0, d750. I really liked the d700 but I would have had to buy all new stuff for it, something that weighed my decision.

Last edited:
I'd agree with TiredIron on that one, your absolute best bet would be two 750's, that would allow you to rotate them and reduce the usage on both and you wouldn't have any worries about switching cameras even mid stream.

If that's a bit more than budget allows, I'd probably go with a D600 or D610. I got a pretty killer deal on my D600, the gentleman had the shutter replaced already under the warranty.

I do events and weddings too and my main camera is Nikon D750, you will LOVE this camera!!!
My second camera is D3300 but honestly if you can get an FX camera it will be better, I would recommend the D610 for second body.

I mean, if you need FF, there are not too many choices here. D750, but you ruled that out because of price, does that also include the D610? If so, then you're down to D600 and D700. Might as well just go with a refurbished (or oil-spot-free rather) D600, probably your best bet for just a second body. IMO, of course.

I forgot.
D700 uses a different memory card.
D7x00, d6x0, d750 uses the same type of memory card (and battery). So you'll have to have to expand your non-compatible accessories to support a d700. versus being able to swap accessories between camera bodies. I loved the d700, but all the other stuff added up in price and volume in the camera bag.

Hmm ?

A D700 produces a 4256x2832 image. At 300 dpi thats ~ 14x9.5 inch or ~ 36x24 cm.

A D750 produces a 6016x4016 image. At 300 dpi thats ~ 20x13 inch or ~ 51x34 cm.

Really not that much of a difference there.

You could always get nothing and if something happens then rent a body and/or lens temporarily.
And lose the job, the client, probably pay for the losses etc.

This is the quentisions
Hmm ?

A D700 produces a 4256x2832 image. At 300 dpi thats ~ 14x9.5 inch or ~ 36x24 cm.

A D750 produces a 6016x4016 image. At 300 dpi thats ~ 20x13 inch or ~ 51x34 cm.

Really not that much of a difference there.

OK, if you say so. I was just pointing out another option from a camera I have seen pics from. Relax Einstein. Besides, some other way more knowledgeable people chimed in with better solutions, you don't have to go all Ricoh on me...

Most reactions

New Topics

Back