Selling digital prints???

explody pup

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
So an aquaintance of mine is putting together a small showing of her photography. She's renting a booth at a art festival sometime this summer with a friend (July I think) and after seeing a few of my photos has asked me if I want in on this (I think mostly to help pay for the booth). I was very flattered and am excited at the prospect, mostly just to see what people think of my stuff. I could put together maybe 10 shots I like enough to put in a show.

But one thing is bothering me. I use film to take my photos, then have them scanned by the photo shop and I'll edit them on Gimp and then have them printed by the photo shop. How do you set a price on this? It's not like a hand-made print developed in a darkroom that is a one-of-a-kind. To me, it just wouldn't feel right to charge anything more than material costs. And, say I do sell a print. Can I include that same print again if I were to put on another show?

Thanks in advance.

And, say I do sell a print. Can I include that same print again if I were to put on another show?
Sure, you can. You're selling a print, not the copyright. ;)

Between 10-15 prints should be fine since you're sharing booth space. You'll want to print up various sizes, too. If you want to look professional, you'll have to mat these prints and slip them into a print bag. You can either put an individual price sticker on each one, or make up a price list for the varying sizes and display it by your print bin.

I charge a lot more for a silver gelatin print than a digital reproduction. Again, outline the difference in your price list or use colored stickers to mark them appropriately (the masses act dumb sometimes). :razz:

Factor in your cost for printing, matting and bagging, and the booth space, but remember you might take a hit here your first time out, so be prepared to enjoy it for what it is. Then again, you may sell out. ;) Watch what people like and let that guide you if you plan to do more.

Have fun! :D

Yes, you definately could sell another of the same print. As long as you're not selling the rights to it, you'll be fine.

Hah. Yeah I completely forgot about matting. This'll give me a good opportunity to learn about doing it myself.

Thanks for the tips, Terri. I'm kinda going into this without any experience so anything anyone can tell me is great.

Well Terri is the best on this, but if I were to do it, id do it on convas...simply because almost every shot looks good on canvas...and canvas is the sexiest thing to print on, it looks great, dont need a frame...and by diggin its just plain sexy...

explody pup said:
Hah. Yeah I completely forgot about matting. This'll give me a good opportunity to learn about doing it myself.

Thanks for the tips, Terri. I'm kinda going into this without any experience so anything anyone can tell me is great.
If you really decide to get into it, a workshop on matting and framing will be your best friend. ;)

For starters, buying some ready-made mats might be quickest....but definitely not cheapest. You can buy 20x30 sheets of cheap foam core at an art supply store, and cut them to size, and mount your prints on that.
That's why 10-15 prints is fine for starters, it adds up! And you might want business cards, too. Just a thought.

Artemis said:
Well Terri is the best on this, but if I were to do it, id do it on convas...simply because almost every shot looks good on canvas...and canvas is the sexiest thing to print on, it looks great, dont need a frame...and by diggin its just plain sexy...
Hot damn, that's a good idea. I don't know if anybody local prints to canvas, though. I have some research to do.

explody pup said:
Hot damn, that's a good idea. I don't know if anybody local prints to canvas, though. I have some research to do.
Marshall's makes an inkjet canvas that prints beautifully. You could always see if a local printer would use what you bring in, if you don't print at home. It's fairly easy to find.

I like the look of canvas, too, just keep in mind the textural qualities while considering your photos. It can definitely add a dimension of interest to some images, but *maybe* not everything you have. ;)

Yes I have a canvas fetish, I dont think there is any other way but canvas which I like so much...its...so....good!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back