sensor question

Scroller

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I have the rebel t3 people say don't try to clean the sensors which are dusty...try as I might to prevent that from happening it still does. It is fairly cheap to get them cleaned 50. but if it has to be done every few months it adds up. What camera (preferably canon) offers auto cleaning? Question two....is there a search function on the forum, I looked and didn't see one.
Thanks
D

The search function is located here. Accessible by clicking on the search link from the main page.

I too use visible dust products when my sensors need cleaning; they're reasonably priced and well made. If your sensor needs to be cleaned every couple of months, you may want to change your habits as far as how you're treating your gear, changing lenses, etc. All of my bodies have self-cleaning sensors now (Sorry, as a Nikonian, I can't answer your question regarding Canon & self-cleaning sensors), but even still, I probably only run it a couple of times a year, and that's because I think about it, not because it needs it.

The sensor (or rather the sensor cover) is not as delicate as the camera manufactures would have you believe and as long as you use a bit of common sense you should have no problems doing your own sensor cleaning.
Visible Dust products work well but I find their products somewhat overpriced. If you don't mind a little craft work you can roll your own sensor swabs using a kit from Copper Hill.
If you take a look around their site tutorial section you will find some good articles on how to clean sensors. If you do buy a cleaning kit make sure you get one with a sensor brush as well as the swabs since 9 times out of 10 the sensor brush is all you need.

Alexr25 is right, sensors are not delicate. the cleaning tools and liquids will be touching/cleaning the sensor protective glass cover, not the actual sensor. I use a LensBrush when needed, swabs plus Eclipse on stubborn stuff. I have my sensor cleaning to everytime I turn on and off the camera ... I figured ... why not?

Try an air blower first with the lens mount opening facing down so the dust falls out, a filtered air blower is best.

If that does not work a sensor cleaning might be needed.

John.

Every few months sounds like a lot. I clean probably no more than once a year. I have not tried using my air blower, afraid I will stir up all the dust inside the camera.

Most reactions

Back