Serene Sunrise

With no definite subject, you are left with mood/atmosphere. That is badly blunted by the over saturation, and the centered horizon line.

With no definite subject, you are left with mood/atmosphere. That is badly blunted by the over saturation, and the centered horizon line.
You are absolutely right in your blunt observations. As I am still learning the basics of photography I sometimes go too far in editing. Here is another attempt from that same shoot. Thanks for your comments.
D7100 #3 Kettle Cove HD13 by J T, on Flickr

Not knowing a thing about Photoshop/LR I would know nothing of Post processing, having said that, I have often heard others who do, comment that it is easy to go overboard. All I can suggest is go slow and tweak a little at a time and having a notebook and a pencil around does help. The first pic does seem a little over if I may say , but the mood is right :)

The 2nd one is much better, Shooting a little lower would have offered you a different perspective me thinks.

Just did a quick portrait crop with your 2nd pic . Sorry did it without your permission. Just another perspective I guess.

Last edited:
Subjectivity is such a huge part of photographic composition. After the initial photograph is taken, there is a whole world of possibilities remaining. I am learning that like in music, I was a professional musician for many years, less can be more in the choices we make in any artistic field.

Subjectivity is such a huge part of photographic composition. After the initial photograph is taken, there is a whole world of possibilities remaining. I am learning that like in music, I was a professional musician for many years, less can be more in the choices we make in any artistic field.

Truer words were never spoken. That's why I get such a kick out of all the comments regarding the pictures posted on this forum.

'It's too light......it's too dark...it's too this or that......should have done such and such...'
And you have to know that many who come here for advice take these comments as hard facts and go about their learning, at least for the immediate future, trying to shoot as the 'experts' have told them. Not to mention the way some comments are worded. About as friendly as a kick in the balls. But, I guess that makes some feel superior, who knows.

t's too light......it's too dark...it's too this or that......should have done such and such...'
The wording of advice is a clear way to determine if it has any merit.

I wrote this for another thread but it may be of help:

There are two very basic and over-riding principles about the way we see that are both fully understood by artists and completely ignored by many photographers:

• We only see relative values.
  • The eye and brain auto-correct.
If you move your contrast slider and compare the before and after then you will always find that to your eyes the version with more contrast has more impact simply because of the way you will always see it relative to the before version with less contrast. What you're not doing is printing the image and hanging it on the wall next to a bookshelf full of things with normal colour and contrast. By not understanding how the brain 'auto-corrects' an image when you look at it in isolation it is very easy to loose sight of how the rest of us actually see it in the normal world.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back