settings question

jacqg

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Okay, I just wanna know, what to use when taking snapshots, as for example, at a party. I usually use Manual for everything but I just hate how tedious it is to change everytime I want to shoot something else. so that said, I just want to know, what is the correct one to use? I'm thinking of aperture priority (I think it's Tv in canon) but it'll mean that it'll choose a shallow dof right? I tried that while taking pictures of 3 or more people and the dof of my f/1.8 was sooooo shallow that only one person was focused then again it might be really their distances next to each other. I don't know if I did it right or it was just that once that it's not supposed to be like that. I'm not quite sure. So that being said, what should I use? Should I...use auto instead?

I almost always shoot in Aperture Priority mode. You get to choose the aperture and control the depth of field. You just have to keep an eye on the shutter speed to make sure that you aren't dipping low enough to start getting motion blur/camera shake.

The reason why at f/1.8 you were getting a SUPER shallow depth of field is because the wider the aperture is (smaller f/stop numbers) the shallower the depth of field is. f/1.8 is pretty much as wide open as the aperture gets. You could put it in Aperture Priority mode and then dial in a smaller aperture than f/1.8 and get a deeper depth of field.

I shoot everything on Aperture priority.
For people I normally shoot at my largest aperture, I have really good lenses which allow me to do that and get sharp shots.
Be aware that at 1.8 2.8 your depth of field will be very shallow but may be necessary to get enough shutter speed so everything is not blurred, use spot focus and get the eyes sharp.
Shoot in Aperture priority and get comfortable using your blinkies to tell when you are blowing out shots and using your compensation dial to fine tune exposure on the fly.

Manual is fine if you are in lighting that is not going to change or have lots of time to get set up, other wise it will not work for you.

TV mode with canon controls shutter speeds, check out AV mode as that is aperture controled.

REally what ever is needed to get the job done is the correct one.

TV mode with canon controls shutter speeds, check out AV mode as that is aperture controled.

REally what ever is needed to get the job done is the correct one.
Right! Tv = Time value (shutter speed) and Av = Aperture value (f/stop). I don't know why they couldn't have called it Shutter Priority and Aperture Priority like everyone else, but... it is what it is and despite the name, it's accomplishes the same thing.

I usually use Manual for everything but I just hate how tedious it is to change everytime I want to shoot something else
If it is tedious, it's probably b/c you don't know how to use it efficiently. Put it on program mode and have a great time.

Here is another thread about this subject
http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/...9084-exposure-your-photographic-triangle.html

As for how you are shooting, you need to decide what you want your Creative Exposure (vision) to be for the photo set. For example, if you are at a party and want to shoot an interesting subject, you may want to use an isolation aperture, or a larger Physical aperture/smaller numerical number ( like f/1.8)... What this does is allows you to set the subject apart from the rest of the scene so viewers eyes don't get lost/confused.
This aperture will also give you fastest shutter in comparison to smaller aperture.

If you are in Manual mode, decide how much depth of field you desire and adjust your aperture accordingly. Now, if you are familiar with your cameras ISO performance (how much you can raise it before the noise is too much) you should set that and leave it. Another option is to set the highest ISO you will allow, and then turn on auto ISO so your camera can choose the best value based on your other settings.

Now you have Aperture and ISO set, select how you want your camera to meter, if your are shooting a subject with a backround that's of little importance or varies greatly in contrast, I would select center weighted, and I would meter off the eyes since they are most important.
Now all you have left is your shutter speed. If you are shooting in the same environment and want the most consistent results, your other settings will stay the same and you will adjust your shutter until your camera says you have a correct exposure. This is really fast to do, and pretty easy.
If you need bump in light and don't have a good external flash, adjust your exposure compensation.

Manual mode= consistent mode.

Don't forget to shoot in raw as well!

AV does give you a lot of creative control, and as long at the shutter speed is faster than 60 (or 90 to be safe), you're usually fine. Problem is, parties are often dark, so you DO get a lot of situations with a 1.8. A higher ISO will alleviate this problem. If they're just "snapshots at parties" why not use the green mode?

Both priority and aperture priority give you the ability to creatively control your exposure.

If you are taking a photo, why not try and get it to look as good as you can. I think a snapshot implies more of a photograph with no real thought in the composition, not necessarily a poorly exposed one.

What should be in effect here is fast glass, and a diffused external flash. It's pretty easy to work with that in the darkest conditions with all the movement you can find.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back