settings

revid

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Iam was just trying some settings with my d7000 and shot to pics that I have uploaded and will post the link below.One I put on auto to see what the camera would shoot it at then did the second on a priority.What a difference and how come,you would think that they would come out the same if the camera picked the right setting.The camera shot on auto at 60 f5.6 at about 6ft away.how come the other pic turned out so dark?

heres the link to pics http://s920.photobucket.com/albums/ad43/revid64/camera work/

Your link didn't work... but I suspect that if you read this article and understand it's contents, your questions will be answered: Camera Exposure: Aperture, ISO & Shutter Speed

That stuff is sort of fundamental camera theory, and if you get your head around how it works, then you'll see how the camera functions as a system and why it makes the decisions it does. You'll also understand how to make those decisions yourself.

They weren't shot the same at all, except for f/5.6 @ 1/60
The first was shot at ISO 800, the second ISO 200 AND it had 4 stops of negative exposure compensation dialed in..which would make for a very dark image

As mentioned by Redpargotohp your ISO and negative exposure setting is the problem. Specifically its the negative exposure that's really killing it.

Looking at the EXIF data its this value:
Exposure Bias -4.666666666666667

ok guys I see what you mean.When I put it on auto,the camera also picks the iso,forgot all about that.lol.So when I go to shoot in a priority I'll have to make sure to keep in mind the iso also.Iam new at this and still trying to get my head around all the settings and its great to have some input to clear the water.If I up the iso I can take a shot in a darker room but it will get to the extent that the pic is to grainy if I go to far?

If I up the iso I can take a shot in a darker room but it will get to the extent that the pic is to grainy if I go to far?

If your other settings (aperture and shutter speed) remain constant, then yes, increasing the ISO will allow the camera to bring in more light. Increasing the ISO will also introduce more grain... Keep in mind that when you increase the ISO it becomes even more important that you nail your exposure in camera. With an increased ISO, if you underexpose the photo, and bring up the exposure in Post, you are more likely too see more grain.

You have a nice new d7000, a digital camera. Read the manual, then find a nice subject.. It can be anything. Try adjusting your Shutter speed, aperture, and ISO, first one at a time, and take a photo with each photo at a different setting. Figure out how changing each setting affects the photo, by studying them.. Aperature and ISO remain constant, increase shutter speed = darker image, decrease shutter speed = lighter image... Don't go to slow on the shutter speed because now you are getting camera shake and motion blur... OR did you want motion blur in the photo?

Good luck.

Note, if you are to adjust each setting one at a time, and you want to keep the other 2 constant without the camera automatically changing them, you will need to be in Manual!

thanks bud,been trying that all afternoon.I guess it'll come down to experience after awhile.Still haven't got the speed numbers down path ,ie;x250 etc.Is there a chart or link that shows all the speed numbers.thanks again.

thanks bud,been trying that all afternoon.I guess it'll come down to experience after awhile.Still haven't got the speed numbers down path ,ie;x250 etc.Is there a chart or link that shows all the speed numbers.thanks again.
Wikipedia.org has all of them.

Most reactions

Back