Shoot through or Bounce?

I love my massive softbox and octobox, but the umbrellas have a defining edge to them which is so useful for some shots. I will often get a little creative too - I'll use an umbrella setup, then have a translucent panel on a stand, I'll place that right in front of the lights for some images and remove for some (best of both worlds). Recently I've been using soft light for everything, so this thread reminded me of my love for all kinds of light!

Yes, like Buckster and KmH, I too love the "umbrella box" type modifiers. For me the 41 inch Lastolite models produce beautiful light. These are what KmH and many other Americans call a "brolly", but I do not like to use that term, since to ME at least "brolly" is an imported British slang term for "umbrella", and also because there is a type of shoot-through umbrella that is used as a normal shoot-through BUT which also has a black back cover to contain the spill--and THAT is what a number of vendors call a "brolly box". So, to me, I use the term umbrella box for the Lastolite Umbrella Box and the Photek Softlighter, both of which are very similar.

Lastolite Umbrella Box with 7MM Shaft - 41" LL LU3227 B&H

Here's an old Zack Arias page that has a very nice photo showing the lighting pattern of a shoot-through umbrella (which,incidentally he calls a brolly box!!! ) and also showing the lighting pattern of a softbox. I think this one is worth looking at:

Shoot Through Umbrella vs. Softbox • Photography By Zack Arias

Yup, if I was forced to only ever use one modifier ever again, softbox umbrella would be it.

Ease, versatility, softness with control. About as close to a perfect modifier there is.

Also, since we are mostly talking about any old modifier now, lets give the humble v-slat some love.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back