Website
jacobdunphy.com
Jeremy

2006_10_14_1.jpg

2006_10_14_2.jpg

2006_10_14_3.jpg

2006_10_14_4.jpg

2006_10_14_5.jpg

I think I quite quite like the POV and lighting in the first, his eyes get very nice catchlights in that one and the POV is a little different ... and so is the darkening/lightening (?) sky.

And I would like 4, also because the eyes sparkle nicely, if ... yes, if his left eye (right for us) would show the catchlight and said very important (to me) light were not covered by the strand of hair...

I like the third best :) looks like the kind of photo an author would put in his book.

I was going to say that! A few of these look like pictures of an author. These are great portraits in my book!

LaFoto said:
And I would like 4, also because the eyes sparkle nicely, if ... yes, if his left eye (right for us) would show the catchlight and said very important (to me) light were not covered by the strand of hair...

If you look closely you'll see the strand of hair doesn't cover the catchlight.
So would this be better, LaFoto?

2006_10_14_5b.jpg

I like #3 and the last one. He has a great smile. I would really like #4 as well (he kind of looks like Travolta in that one) but the strand of hair in his eye bothers me. I also love the lighting in the first, but that angle doesn't really do it for me.

I think the fifth view is the strongest. I like most all of the elements... posing, lighting, framing, and expression. I'm not sure the re-work of the catch lights is working.... maybe it's a bit too much.

With the main light as high as it is, you created some really nice "shaping." Along with it comes the shaping of the roundness of the eyes, casting some rather deep shadows under the eyes. Maybe soften these shadows a bit?

Nice series.

Pete

Darin: The lighting was pretty straightforward. I tried to underexpose on the ambient a bit, and then I had a strobe shooting into an umbrella about four to five feet away. It was probably just below his waist level. The just-set sun was at my back.

April: I do wish that I had noticed that strand of hair before I took that shot. :) The catchlight would have really helped that shot.

Pete: Thanks for the comment on #5. Looking back now. That's probably my favorite shot of the group too.

W. Smith: The fake catchlights aren't working for me. They're violating the edge of the eye and they don't mesh very well with the direction of the lightsource. With the light coming from that far over, the catchlight should be more broken up, especially on his right eye. That eye receives almost no direct light from the softbox.

Thanks for the comments, everybody!

The softbox I used for a lot of these was made out of a computer box with some paper towels as diffuser. It's a good thing this guy was my friend. I'd hate to use that setup in front of a paying client. :lol:

I also used it in these shots.

2006_10_09_2.jpg

2006_10_09_3.jpg

Most reactions

New Topics

Back